Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ohhh k. I need a bit of help or opinions. I know nothing of track bikes and their geometry.
I ride a 2009 bmc road racer size large. I want to build a fixed gear for messing around town and riding something different. After measuring out the specs on my bike my gut says the 2010 steel 55cm pake frame will fit. But the 57 is closer to my frame size.

Measurements for the bmc are 565mm top tube and I run a 90mm stem for a total of 655mm
The 55cm pake has a 557mm top tube and I was thinking a 100mm stem putting the total at 657mm
The 55cm pake has a stand over of 31.8
The 57cm pake has a 568 top tube. This is the closest to the frame I ride but the stand over seems to high for me at 32.5
My stand over is about 33.5 comfortably. My inseam is about 34" and I'm 6 feet tall.

My question is the 55 or the 57? My gut says the 55 because the stand over is still taller than my current bike. What do you people think? Thanks ahead of time for the opinions/help.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Don't know anything about the "pake frame" you mention. But if it's a typical track bike, it'll have a higher bottom bracket than a road bike of the same size. This brings the entire frame off the ground a bit more than a road bike, so standover will obviously be higher. If fit when sitting on the bike matters more to you having standover clearance, get the 57. If your main concern is standover clearance, get the 55.

FWIW, a higher bottom bracket affords more pedal clearance when making fast turns on level ground. On the track, the additional pedal clearance is needed for going slowly or doing track stands on steep banking.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Opinion.

wildpoo said:
I guess I just wanted a second opinion before pulling the trigger on the 55.
Well, I tried to stay away from opinion in my previous post. But since you want one, I'll give you mine: get the 57.

IMO, standover clearance is a bit of a red herring. A couple of inches might be needed for inexperienced riders wearing sneakers and pushing platform pedals. But with an experienced rider on clipless pedals, an inch or so of clearance is plenty. Keep in mind that the top tube just touching you on straddling means little—from that point to painful pressure is still a long way. But as said before, if standover clearance is a major worry of yours that you just can't overcome, go for the smaller bike and ride with peace of mind.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.