Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe this question is too specific and hard for you guys to answer, but here goes...I currently ride an '03 Cannondale CAAD5 frame, size 54cm (ST 54, TT 54.5). The bike feels slightly large to me (based on back position/pain, feel, etc); however, I have "gotten by" by moving my seat slightly foreward and shortening the stem (80mm!). Basically, riding with my hands on the hoods is NOT as comfortable as it should be. I came across a deal on an '05 six13 frame that is a size 52 (ST 51, TT 53.5) and I'm seriously thinking of going for it in hopes to get a better fit (and smoother ride with the added carbon on the six13). Ok, gurus....is this a good idea or wishful thinking?

For what it's worth, I'm 26 y/o, 5'7, 150 lbs, yes I'm going to race, yes I ride centuries. On longer rides on my current setup I experience lower back pain, which is most likely due to an improper fit (lots of back curvature on my current setup) and my main wish is to be able to ride pain free (and no, this is not a chronic back problem that requires physical therapy....the damn bike just doesn't fit).

Thanks in advance!

Marc

·
Registered
616 Posts
marc180 said:
Maybe this question is too specific and hard for you guys to answer, but here goes...I currently ride an '03 Cannondale CAAD5 frame, size 54cm (ST 54, TT 54.5). The bike feels slightly large to me (based on back position/pain, feel, etc); however, I have "gotten by" by moving my seat slightly foreward and shortening the stem (80mm!). Basically, riding with my hands on the hoods is NOT as comfortable as it should be. I came across a deal on an '05 six13 frame that is a size 52 (ST 51, TT 53.5) and I'm seriously thinking of going for it in hopes to get a better fit (and smoother ride with the added carbon on the six13). Ok, gurus....is this a good idea or wishful thinking?

For what it's worth, I'm 26 y/o, 5'7, 150 lbs, yes I'm going to race, yes I ride centuries. On longer rides on my current setup I experience lower back pain, which is most likely due to an improper fit (lots of back curvature on my current setup) and my main wish is to be able to ride pain free (and no, this is not a chronic back problem that requires physical therapy....the damn bike just doesn't fit).

Thanks in advance!

Marc
The 52 will fit you fine. I ride with a guy who's the same size as you and his Orbea has a TT of 53.5 and he rides a 110 stem. Get sized at the shop though. A good LBS will fit you before and after the purchase.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
forgot to mention...

i forgot to mention that this potential purchase is online, which is why i am questioning the fit potential....

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
missing info...

I'm going to disagree with the other poster's. I'm just 1/2 inch shorter, with long legs and a short torso. My cycling inseam is 83cm and my saddle height is 72cm. I had no problem with a 54cm C'dale, using a 110mm stem. An 80mm would have been extremely cramped.

Keep in mind that the 52cm will only have a slightly 10mm shorter reach, and a 20 mm shorter head tube. You'll need 2cm more spacer or about 12 degrees more stem rise to get the handlebars up to the same height. If your saddle height is lower than mine, perhaps the smaller frame is OK but be sure you kow how you're going to get the bar height you want.

You haven't mentioned the amount of drop from the saddle to the top of the bars. If it's more than 8cm, that may be contributing to your discomfort. If not, I suspect a lack of fitness in the abdominals and back.

Here's a practical test to try. Ride in the drop section of the bars, with your fingers in reach of the brake levers and your back as low as you would normally ride for aggressive cornering or soloing on the flats. I've been criticized for saying that the upper back should be horizontal, but that's my defintion of pretty low. In this position, if your knee and arms interfere, then you've got a cramped position and a lack of strength is the problem.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I 'gree w/ c40 - you'll be bent over pretty well w/ the smaller frame size. If you can handle that position on the bike - OK (the cool racer look) but if you're experiencing back pain already, it will likely get worse - unless you have mega spacers and a riser stem (which looks kinda dorky IMHO). This may be something to consider......

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i see your points...

good advice guys...maybe this frame is too small and that the back pain is due to a lack of ab/back strength (i am working on it!). maybe i'll pass on the frame. it makes me kinda nervous just buying something in a different size that i have not seen anwyay. thanks again

·
Registered
493 Posts
I'm 0.5+" taller than you. If that were me, i'd buy the 52 cm. The 53.5cm TT is perfect for me. My current ride is a 54.5cm TT, which is just a touch too long for me with a 110mm stem.
I have a 31.5" riding inseam.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts