Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've converting from 9sp double to 10sp triple and will be installing a Phil Wood bottom bracket and have some question about shaft size. My set up is as follows:
- 35mm titanium down tube (Serotta)
- Campy record triple fd
- Campy chorus triple crankset (30-42-53)

According to what I've read, Chorus triple bottom brackets are 68 x 111mm asymmetrical. Will a Phil Wood 111mm spindle be able to accommodate my 35mm downtube such that I can achieve proper line up for the small chain ring? Any suggestions and experiences would be appreciated. thanks.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
ask Phil...

I don't see a 111mm offset campy BB listed on Phil's site. Seems like it would be smart to e-mail Phil to get the right product. Click on contacts at Phil's site.

http://www.philwood.com/pproducts.htm

That said, I looked for a different brand of crank for my campy 10 triple. Campy doesn't offer the more sensible 53/39/30 setup, so I got an FSA Team Issue carbon crank. Later changed to a 53/39/28 for bit more low gear. These FSA cranks are going real cheap on E-bay ( I got one for $160).

·
Kant phuckin sphell
650 Posts
Phil wood is good stuff.

If a 111mm is what you had and worked, than a 111mm is what you will need.
The cool thing about a phil wood is that you can position the bottom bracket exactly where you want it, so the chainline is adjustable. I would recommend ordering 2 of the phil wood tools when you order your bottom bracket.Dont forget the cups are separate.

http://www.lickbike.com/manfline1.asp?MANF='Phil%20Wood'

·
Kant phuckin sphell
650 Posts
I think he has a

C-40 said:
I don't see a 111mm offset campy BB listed on Phil's site. Seems like it would be smart to e-mail Phil to get the right product. Click on contacts at Phil's site.

http://www.philwood.com/pproducts.htm

That said, I looked for a different brand of crank for my campy 10 triple. Campy doesn't offer the more sensible 53/39/30 setup, so I got an FSA Team Issue carbon crank. Later changed to a 53/39/28 for bit more low gear. These FSA cranks are going real cheap on E-bay ( I got one for $160).
Close enough

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Phil Wood reply

Thanks for the advice.... I'm not currently running with a 111mm, it's a std 102mm record bb. Has anyone with a campy triple installed a Phil Wood bb and if so what size did you order and did you set it up asymmetrically?

·
Kant phuckin sphell
650 Posts
Sorry

peb307 said:
Thanks for the advice.... I'm not currently running with a 111mm, it's a std 102mm record bb. Has anyone with a campy triple installed a Phil Wood bb and if so what size did you order and did you set it up asymmetrically?
Did not read that you currently had a double.
I do not see why the 111 would not work. Serotta's do not have super large downtubes.
There is nothing abnormal about your set up. I have installed phil bb's with campy triples using 110.5 and doubles using the 102 without problems. The key thing to know is that you will need a Asymmetrical 111 for campy 10 cranks.

These are the best places to talk to when ordering the can give you the right parts

www.branfordbike.com

www.lickbike.com

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These are the best....

Thanks "Bull" for the clarification and advice. I did as you suggested and emailed Branford Bike and the response was just as yours.... 110.5mm length, asymmretic. That should do the job. Note: Lickbike's pricing for PW setup (spindle, SS cups, & 2 tools) is about $20 cheaper than Branford Bike. thanks

·
Registered
413 Posts
I did it.

peb307 said:
I did exactly what you're planning. I switched from a 102 BB to a PW 111 BB. As a previous poster mentioned, the PW BB is highly adjustable in reference to chainline. I have my Record triple drive train shifting as smooth as butter with this setup. :cool:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did it.

Ken said:
I did exactly what you're planning. I switched from a 102 BB to a PW 111 BB. As a previous poster mentioned, the PW BB is highly adjustable in reference to chainline. I have my Record triple drive train shifting as smooth as butter with this setup. :cool:
Did you get a 110.5mm asymmetrical spindle and if not, how did you offset the symmetrically set up bearings so that they provided appropriate axial length on the drive side? What size downtube do you have? Thanks,

·
Registered
413 Posts
My Setup

peb307 said:
Did you get a 110.5mm asymmetrical spindle and if not, how did you offset the symmetrically set up bearings so that they provided appropriate axial length on the drive side? What size downtube do you have? Thanks,
I ride a C40 that has a standard 68mm BB shell. I did not get an asymmetrical BB. PW BBs come with retainer rings (Well, actually you have to buy them separately). The retainer rings are not "lipped". Meaning that when screwing in the BB using the retainer rings there are no lips to screw flush to the BB shell. So depending on how far in you screwed in the off-drive side retainer ring will determine how far your spindle will stick out on the drive side. Believe me the installation is a breeze and IMO PW BBs kick boody over Campy's BBs. You will need to purchase the PW tool to install a PW BB though. People say you should get two of them. I managed with using one though. Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hope this helps

Ken said:
I ride a C40 that has a standard 68mm BB shell. I did not get an asymmetrical BB. PW BBs come with retainer rings (Well, actually you have to buy them separately). The retainer rings are not "lipped". Meaning that when screwing in the BB using the retainer rings there are no lips to screw flush to the BB shell. So depending on how far in you screwed in the off-drive side retainer ring will determine how far your spindle will stick out on the drive side. Believe me the installation is a breeze and IMO PW BBs kick boody over Campy's BBs. You will need to purchase the PW tool to install a PW BB though. People say you should get two of them. I managed with using one though. Hope this helps. :)
Thanks Ken for the tips. I understand exactly what you're talking about. I wonder why PW and Branford bike say to use PW's asymmetrical 110.5mm spindle? It may be that you can get it with the bearings already offset the correct amount on the spindle from the factory thus reducing the need to make adjustments with the retainer rings. Thanks a bunch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts