Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, new to forum. I am considering getting a 2009 SL01. I have a 37.5 inch inseam ( I'm 6'4"); will I be too tall for XL frame? Thanks

·
Registered
318 Posts
I did the fit calculator at Competitive cyclist and got a medium. It fits me perfectly. I'm 5'9 with a 32in inseam. With that frame, don't go by the seat tube measurement but by the top tube length.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hi Ean,
It's possible, I think.
I have a Large and I am at 31.125" measuring through the center of the cam bolt on the post.
I have 1cm of post left
The seat tube C-T on my frame measures ~51.5cm

So you will be up at the limit, or very close to it. But CC has the NQA returns policy so I say go for it. It's a very fun bike to ride!!!:D

·
Registered
24 Posts
NEO Dan said:
Hi Ean,
It's possible, I think.
I have a Large and I am at 31.125" measuring through the center of the cam bolt on the post.
I have 1cm of post left
The seat tube C-T on my frame measures ~51.5cm

So you will be up at the limit, or very close to it. But CC has the NQA returns policy so I say go for it. It's a very fun bike to ride!!!:D

Hey guys, Noob here.Hope these questions dont sound tooo novice to get some feedback.

NEO dan- forgive my ignorance but when you say measured through the cam bolt is that from the top of the saddle to the BB passing throughthe cam bolt, or, form the cam bolt to the BB? I need a saddle height of 82cm from BB to Top of saddle and ride with a 9cm drop (saddle to bars)....Im trying to figure out if a Large will fit me.:confused

Anyone know how much room is left on the steerer tube for spacers so i can raise the stack height? I currently ride a Giant OCR1 - 610mm stack height with a 25mm (cup)spacer.

Will the SL01's Stack height of 574mm (large) will be too low for me since ill need ~60mm of spacers to be equivalent to my current position??

Can Anyone offer any advice?

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
The frameset comes with an uncut steerer, so you can stack it as high as you want. Mine is quite high currently. Lemme see if I can add a pic of it.
EDIT: Here it is, but it's got 6740 cranks and a smaller orange & black Serfas saddle bag on it now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
That's the one. Size large. I used the calculator at cheapcarbon frames to determine the stack and reach.

Thanks for the pic peanya. It always helps to see A visual of these things to get a rough idea of what may be possible.

Anyone k ow what the max BB-top of saddle height is on a size L SL01?

·
Registered
239 Posts
JimmyD said:
That's the one. Size large. I used the calculator at cheapcarbon frames to determine the stack and reach.

Thanks for the pic peanya. It always helps to see A visual of these things to get a rough idea of what may be possible.

BB - Seat rail center ~30"-30.25" depending on angle and how you measure.
Seat heights vary so add yours to the above figure for the total height.

Using the Cheap Carbon calculator I get the following for the SL01
Stack 584mm
Reach 392mm
Axle to crown is 365mm
Once you factor in the headset cap and a 1" or smaller spacer you are good to go.
No need for the Lord of the Rings setup shown above :p

You should bust out the tape measure and head over to the fit calculator at CC:thumbsup:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks again for your help NEO dan. sounds like the streampost will be very close but possibly 0.25-0.5 inches too short for me...I wonder how much difference half an inch will make??

I measured mine from BB center-along the seatpost and took the measurement at the seat rails. Ill take it again to double check

The stack and reach figure i have are from the BMC web site...I wonder if frame measurements from manufacturers are like weight measurements and never quite accurate:D

·
Iohannes fac totum
3,151 Posts
JimmyD said:

Just going off normal values:

Seat tube (c-t) 52 cm
Seat post max - 25cm
Saddle height 4.7 cm (I have two very different saddles but both have this height.)

So just guessing here I would say the MAX BB to top of saddle would be about 81.7 cm (32.16")

I went through the same thing here. Now that I have the bike, I see that my math was pretty spot on.:thumbsup:
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=221747

Good luck:thumbsup:

·
Registered
239 Posts
JimmyD said:
Thanks again for your help NEO dan. sounds like the streampost will be very close but possibly 0.25-0.5 inches too short for me...I wonder how much difference half an inch will make??

I measured mine from BB center-along the seatpost and took the measurement at the seat rails. Ill take it again to double check

The stack and reach figure i have are from the BMC web site...I wonder if frame measurements from manufacturers are like weight measurements and never quite accurate:D
Hey - Just how tall are you; what's your inseam?

Seems like lotsa frame makers are like fat girls - always lying about the weight :blush2:

also curious about why you are looking to switch frames?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey Neo dan,
Im 183cm(6ft) tall with an 89cm(35inch) inseam.

I guess the main motivation for the upgrade is i find the OCR ugly (at least mine is), heavy (2.2kg for frame+fork+seat clamp) and a bit of a rough ride on longer rides. I was going down th route of a chinese generic carbon frame for the light weight/low dollars but then found the SL01 frameset on sale and thought the extra stiffness might be beneficial? It looks waaaay better and would no doubt be better build and finish quality....althought a few hundred grams heavier than the chinese carbon.

·
Registered
662 Posts
The road racer is so nice that u wont feel the extra grams. BMC riders never complain for the weight of the bike. Besides in a race if you are tired the other guys too and the bike weight means nothing at some point in a race.

The sl01 rides awesome, i cant even imagine how good should be the ride in the other models above.

·
Registered
24 Posts
NEO Dan said:
Well keep looking then because the SL01 is gonna be at least 2,380 grams for the frame, cut fork, and post.

Woooa!...I didnt realise it was that much. I thought id read 1400+560+220 which is about what the OCR is. But then again I thinkIi read that at the BMC site and like you said about fat girls lol!

I think the weight thing is probably all in my head. Can 500g of non rotational mass really make that much difference to an 84kg rider?? My rides usually include a few 5km climbs (~200m elev) as i do enjoy climbing more than outright fast riding. Like i said im fairly new to the technical side of cycling and dont have any experience with higher end bikes.

The BMC looks smokin hot though and everyone on RBR says they think the ride quality is excellent. Its always hard to know but at least ill be able to sell the BMC if i dont like it. Cheap Chinese Carbon would likely be a different story.

Decisions Decisions.

Thanks for all your input guys. NEO dan you've just made my decision that much harder but at least I can now make an educated one. Cheers

·
Registered
662 Posts
If you like light stuff the bmc is not for you. Unless u want the 2011 bmc models that are way lighter.

The other issue is that if you like light stuff u can go with the high end bmc bikes, but they are pricey :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts