Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a general sizing question. If you're dead in between 2 sizes... say 54 or a 56... would a longer cycling inseam sway you to go larger?

In other words, if you take a 5'9" rider with normal leg length as opposed to a 5'9" rider with longer legs (cycling inseam) would the longer legs hint to the 56?

I know its said to always go smaller when in doubt, but I'm asking more about how longer legs would affect the decision. When I got fitted a while back, the fact I had to jack up the seatpost AND push the saddle way back (i have large femurs) the fitter told me there was too much saddle to handlebar drop and suggested going to a 56.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which I did. My question was more does having longer legs or a larger inseam for a certain height sway one to a larger, or smaller frame if in between sizes?

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Which I did. My question was more does having longer legs or a larger inseam for a certain height sway one to a larger, or smaller frame if in between sizes?
Longer as in freak show long?

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Internet fitting is always best :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I prefer smaller. But, I am 5'8" with a 30 inch inseam.

Ride different bikes and get the one that you think feels better.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Assuming both bikes can be made to match you fit ciriteria without compromising handling, etc...

The real answer to this question is 'ride both bikes and see which one you like'. These bikes will handle and feel different. Some like the sportier feel of a bike that's on the smaller side. Others like the stability of a slightly larger bike.

Only you can determine this, and you really need to ride them to know.

Be sure to climb, descend and hammer flats on both bikes. The descending in particular is likely to feel different.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.