Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to buy road shoes for my Specialized Roubaix with Dura Ace pedals. I've read plenty of reviews on this site from people who've tried on and bought shoes from their lbs and still find the shoes are uncomfortable once they take them for a ride. How can you lessen the possibiliy of this happening? My street shoe size is 9.5. I've heard people say the equivalent european size is a 43.5, but I've also heard plenty of people say a 43.5 is the same as a US 9 and US 10! I know the best way to get the right fit is at my lbs, but that doesn't always mean fit and comfort in the long run. I don't see a better place for this question. If you know of one, please let me know. Thanks!

·
keep rubber side down
624 Posts
go euro!

I always refer to the european shoe size as it seems more consistent.

And it seems that 43.5 would be about right. I'm us10 and use 44 euro.

Still all shoe makers make different fitting. even sometimes within one brand; models can differ.

Further: what I find comfy might not be for you.

Keep in mind: hight price is not always the best. Lightest might not be the stiffest, and nicest might not have your width...

I use bike shoes that are the same size as my street shoes. What you try sitting in a shop might not feel the same 3 hours into a ride.

I haven't ever heard of a particular shoe matching a specific bike... But then I can't fit my socks and my purse either. (Perhaps one should get the shoes first, and then choose a bike to match? -just kidding)

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
with street shoes i go from a 9 1/2 (for normal shoes - dress shoes, boots, etc) to a 10 to 10.5 (sneakers, always go large with Nikes for example).

with cycling shoes i've worn 42s (carnac lemonds/legends) and currently wearing 43s (carnac quartz, which are a fraction too large, and just got a pair of shimano r215s in 43s, which seem fine , but i've yet to wear them on a ride)

spokesman said:
I need to buy road shoes for my Specialized Roubaix with Dura Ace pedals. I've read plenty of reviews on this site from people who've tried on and bought shoes from their lbs and still find the shoes are uncomfortable once they take them for a ride. How can you lessen the possibiliy of this happening? My street shoe size is 9.5. I've heard people say the equivalent european size is a 43.5, but I've also heard plenty of people say a 43.5 is the same as a US 9 and US 10! I know the best way to get the right fit is at my lbs, but that doesn't always mean fit and comfort in the long run. I don't see a better place for this question. If you know of one, please let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
every company is diffrent. Sizes varry an absurd amount.

a lot of LBS will take back a pair of shoes if they didn't fit well...
ask them, express your concern. They want you to be happy too.

or go all the way for the perfect fit...
http://www.lustracing.com/

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,406 Posts
Never, ever buy shoes on line without trying them on first. Every shoe is different, and many brands of shoe will hurt you your feet. When you buy shoes at your LBS, try them on first, for fit, and second for how they match your feet. Put them on and stand there for a few minutes. If they hurt youe arch after a few minutes, how do you think that they will feel after 3 hours. Buying shoes at you LBS should take at least 1/2 hour. If you are looking to save money, this is the time to buy 2005 model shoes. Most LBS are clearing them out now. If they aren't discounting them now, that tells you something about the LBS.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts