Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Devoid of all flim-flam
7,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local wheelbuilder is building me a set of wheels.
White H2 hubs
Velocity Arrowhead rims
Sapim Race and Laser spokes. Two cross.

Anybody have a skewer recommendation?

Also, was I a fool for not blowing the extra bucks and buying the bladed Sapim spokes?

· Registered
329 Posts
Probably not "cool"

But, I have tried a lot of fancy skewers over the years, and I have yet to find a single one that seems to irritate me less than a boring old Campy Skewer. Strong as nails and flawless.

Shimano are nice too.

The fancy Ti skewers seem to put a premium on weight savings and bling looks, but most use a mechanism that gets sticky over time (short time) and the action gets really jerky. If I am changing a flat, I want smooth action and a positive secure feeling on the re-install.

FWIW I am planning on building a set of wheels with similar hubs soon...did you opt for the black, or polished finish?

Spokes? That is an individual thing. I am not a huge fan of bladed spokes because I tend to ride one set of wheels *all* the time. Round spokes are robust, and will work well in all conditions including heavy cross winds. Bladed spokes would also have worked well, but I have never cared for them in the occasional high cross winds while descending....just my opinion.

· Registered
3,270 Posts
I've picked up some skewers on ebay that are shaped just like Zipps and work just as well as the Zipps I have, just not with the bright polished lever and nologo. Otherwise, they look identical and are only about $20.

· Registered
919 Posts
cdhbrad said:
I've picked up some skewers on ebay that are shaped just like Zipps and work just as well as the Zipps I have, just not with the bright polished lever and nologo. Otherwise, they look identical and are only about $20.
Yeah, I think there are a few Taiwanese OEMs that make most of those external cam skewers. I have some $12 Tokens that look very similar to the Zipps, except for a stainless rod (I don't trust Ti skewers, but could have had that version for a few $$ more).
Having said that, if you want good performance you can't beat the internal cam Campy or Shimano QRs.

· Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
Old School

jmoryl said:
Having said that, if you want good performance you can't beat the internal cam Campy or Shimano QRs.
Gotta say that the old school approach will never dissapoint you, C or S both make fine products. My wife does have a set of the DT skewers and they do look pretty and perform well (just like her).

· Devoid of all flim-flam
7,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everybody. My latest idea is to just steal my wife's soon-to-no-longer-be-used circa 2000 Campy Record skewers.

Unit: I'm getting the polished silver H2's. Simply too beautiful to pass up. It'll add a hint of flash to my otherwise pretty sober-looking bike.

· Registered
3,431 Posts
cdhbrad said:
I recently had to replace a front skewer on my Reynolds Alta Race wheel and they are also identical to the zip skewers shown. The reynolds are identical except Reynolds printed on them. The generic one I bought was identical, except no writing on it. Exact same weight (I did weigh them!). The lever is the same polished finish. I have no doubt the shaft is stainless rather than Ti though.

I got the front one for something like $10.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.