Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going skiing with the family in a couple of weeks for the 1st time in about 15 years. Never a great skier, but decent. Since then 3 knee surgeries and lots of cycling. My question is, what shuld I do, ski or snowboard?

·
Rep *****.
9,795 Posts
West End Rail said:
Grew up skiing in NJ/NY & Vermont, first time out West
If you have skied the ice of the east coast, snowboarding will come easy out west. It takes about 1 full day on the board to get the basic hang of it.

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts
West End Rail said:
Going skiing with the family in a couple of weeks for the 1st time in about 15 years. Never a great skier, but decent. Since then 3 knee surgeries and lots of cycling. My question is, what shuld I do, ski or snowboard?
snowboard......haven't been on skis since '89......esp if you have bum knees

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts
firstrax said:
Watcha ridin?
Heres my fleet. Not shown is the Dunkin Donuts promotion board.
I wish I had fleet...I'm on an old Burton FL167....really stiff, great board for everything esp steeps but sux on deep powder days, too much work.....was going to get the Malolo '62 this season but other priorities jumped the line....off to Utah next weekend and Mammoth the weekend after that....

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
svend said:
snowboard......haven't been on skis since '89......esp if you have bum knees
I only tried snowboarding once, but I hated it. You spend so much time at the top of the lift putting bindings back on and at the bottom it was really awkward having to push the board with one leg cocked at a strange angle.That seemed harder on my knee than skiing ever was--Plus you sit on your butt a lot. I think I'll stick to skiing for the time being even though it isn't the cool thing anymore. ;) Also...skiing moguls on a snowboard just sucks.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
I'll be the voice of dissent.

I've skiid for over 20 yrs. I'm good at it. The new shaped skiis make skiing MUCH easier. If you're used to skiis, I'd stay with it. It's like riding a bike. A few runs and you'll be as good a new. To use the analogy used with boarding in the east vs the west, same applies to skiing. If you can ski on the ice out here, you can ski anywhere. Besides, nothing like some noob boarder scraping all the snow off the friggin slopes.

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
I only tried snowboarding once, but I hated it. You spend so much time at the top of the lift putting bindings back on and at the bottom it was really awkward having to push the board with one leg cocked at a strange angle.That seemed harder on my knee than skiing ever was--Plus you sit on your butt a lot. I think I'll stick to skiing for the time being even though it isn't the cool thing anymore. ;) Also...skiing moguls on a snowboard just sucks.
Well, for perspective I started skateboarding at 7, surfing at 10. My Aunt was a ski instructor at Winter Park and I learned at Eldora but skiing never felt "right". It was odd, fun yes, but still not a natural (for me) motion down the mountain. Fast forward to Telluride winter of 90, snowboarded for the first time and finally it felt natural, (2 feet of fresh powder
helped alot)....never been back to skis.....two surfing buddies who grew up racing on skis, same story.....just depends on what you find natural, neither is better.....anyone on a pair of parabolics should thank snowboarders though.......moguls do suck, fun for about four turns then I hate 'em.....much rather lay out long drawn out arcs

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
You're so right about parabolics. They haven't made me a better skier; it's just easier to ski the hard stuff. Gawd, I used to ski on 207 Kastle super g skiis. After 2 or 3 runs on the steep stuff my legs were fried. Now, 10 yrs later, I can ski them most of the day :D :D :D :D :D

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
As a skier

I don't want to be dodging another snowboarder laying on his back stairing up at the sky. But, having previously been a snowboarder it's a lot of fun. I'd be a little nervous of the skis with the knee, but if you take it easy you should be OK.

I must add an aside here. If a snowboarder blocking the run on their back is a gorgeous twenty something year old woman with an explosion of hair going all over the snow while giggling at the snow down her snow pants then it is quite OK. :D Punk, jerk young dudes laying crosswise all over the slopes irritates the crap out of me. :mad:

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Ever play snowboarder slalom?? Way fun!

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts
Kram59 said:
Ever play snowboarder slalom?? Way fun!
that's why, except when I'm riding with my wife, I'm always in the steeps....anyone tries to sit or stop ends up at the bottom.......I also like racing skiers through the trees on deep powder days......that's good clean fun.....I don't miss the obnoxious ski fashion but do miss the tight chica pants, don't see that as much anymore which is a shame.....

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
I was in a local shop a while ago and a woman was looking for such pants. Not to be had :( Snowboarder style has crossed over to the skiing scene as well.

·
Rep *****.
9,795 Posts
Kram59 said:
Snowboarder style has crossed over to the skiing scene as well.
Ever since they started making short twin tip skis punks can be found in both disciplines.
Mark my words, neon will make a come back. And when it does the tight pants will come back too.

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts
firstrax said:
Ever since they started making short twin tip skis punks can be found in both disciplines.
Mark my words, neon will make a come back. And when it does the tight pants will come back too.

the ever present double edged sword......I hated neon then and still think it looks bad.....
is there a causal link between the two or just a coincidence....I look forward to the season when tight pants have returned....In mammoth 3 weeks ago I did a major detour just so I could follow a hottie in tight pants.......funny how the 16 year old inside never really leaves

·
Rep *****.
9,795 Posts
Ridgetop said:
:D Punk, jerk young dudes laying crosswise all over the slopes irritates the crap out of me. :mad:
I'd like to see resorts take the initiative and address that. These are the punks that give the rest of us a bad name. They are a hazard (especially to wobbly out of control skiers :D ) and need to have their tickets clipped.

·
Registered
483 Posts
West End Rail said:

The first couple days snowboarding will not be much fun. After that it gets easier and easier. If you've been a surfer or skateboarder it would probally be easier. Either way, have fun.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
svend said:
the ever present double edged sword......I hated neon then and still think it looks bad.....
is there a causal link between the two or just a coincidence....I look forward to the season when tight pants have returned....In mammoth 3 weeks ago I did a major detour just so I could follow a hottie in tight pants.......funny how the 16 year old inside never really leaves
really...the chicks that snowboard tend to look just like dudes with the baggy pants, hoodies and touks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts