Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, in the actual wrecking bodies sense. Went skiing this weekend and had two friends go down for the count. One almost fatally. My best friend's wife got hooked on a mound buried under fresh powder and blew her knee out completely. We all got to watch her free ride on the tobogon (sp?) to the hospital. One of my closest cycling buddies went down the same day doing some professional stuff in Durango. I just got the call. Broke his back - shattered three vertebrae and disk. The annoying thing is that it happened at the bottom of the run after the cliff jumping. Hit some bad snow that spun him around into the rocks. Wasn't even going that fast. He's lucky to be alive and can move his feet so they think he'll be able to walk. Still in the hospital though. And then, I got word that a good friend and exroomate of mine got messed up in a chute where I was skiing. Two broken hands and possibly a destroyed optic nerve (i.e. blind in one eye). What the hell? We've all been snow addicts for 20 years and none of us has been injured except for a knee injury due to a fat dude piling into our crowd at a ski lift. Suddenly, my addiction to skiing doesn't seem like such a wonderful high.

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,158 Posts
Ridgetop said:
Well, in the actual wrecking bodies sense. Went skiing this weekend and had two friends go down for the count. One almost fatally. My best friend's wife got hooked on a mound buried under fresh powder and blew her knee out completely. We all got to watch her free ride on the tobogon (sp?) to the hospital. One of my closest cycling buddies went down the same day doing some professional stuff in Durango. I just got the call. Broke his back - shattered three vertebrae and disk. The annoying thing is that it happened at the bottom of the run after the cliff jumping. Hit some bad snow that spun him around into the rocks. Wasn't even going that fast. He's lucky to be alive and can move his feet so they think he'll be able to walk. Still in the hospital though. And then, I got word that a good friend and exroomate of mine got messed up in a chute where I was skiing. Two broken hands and possibly a destroyed optic nerve (i.e. blind in one eye). What the hell? We've all been snow addicts for 20 years and none of us has been injured except for a knee injury due to a fat dude piling into our crowd at a ski lift. Suddenly, my addiction to skiing doesn't seem like such a wonderful high.
I can't decide which sport is worse.

Some time in October I got smashed by a car in a training ride one morning on my bike. Maybe I should be a mountain biker.

Then just yesterday while doing some GS runs, I took a gate to the face. Blood everywhere.

Maybe I'm just an idjit.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Ridgetop said:
Sh*t happens and skiing is a dangerous sport if you're at the level it seems you are saying. Either ski some tamer stuff or get out of the sport if it is becoming an issue.

--You skiing today? 2 ft. of fresh in the mountains. I almost took the day off myself. Going to Copper to ski the back bowls next Tuesday and I'm hoping for similar conditions then.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
Geez. I was at Copper on Monday. A little colder than I like, but fantastic conditions, and today must be even better.

I broke an ankle skiing back in 2001 at Squaw Valley... just caught an edge funny and binding didn't release. It is no doubt a dangerous sport. I do not ski at the level that routinely involves risk of death (no extreme terrain, and very little tree skiing) but even being at the age where knees matter, I find myself more cautious every year.

Sorry about your buddies.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm stuck at work. Got 2 to 3 feet of fresh stuff only a half hour up the hill. I've already called in sick so many times in the past month that I'm feeling guilty and actually working. I'm not as good as some of my friends and tend to stick to the groomed stuff. Saturday though. . .opening to close definitely. Until then I'm stuck staring at the mountains from the office windows. Pure torture.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the back injury was real fluke. The chute crash was a lack of care. My fear is really just blowing out a knee. Everything I do depends on the darn joint working properly. I just can't imagine what I'd be thinking, laying there in the snow, my foot facing the wrong direction, knowing that the next six or more months is going to really suck. Ack, got to get my mind off these thoughts or I'll be skiing the bottom of the green run this weekend with the five year olds.

·
7,746 Posts
If you must pick a green run to ski with the five-year-olds, I highly recommend Schoolmarm at Keystone. ;)

Seriously, if you every have a newbie you're working with/skiing with, I can still get a kick out of that three-mile-long cruiser...

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
jtolleson said:
I've never downhilled at Eldora, but I love the Nordic Center. Nice and hilly and a really backcountry feel once you get about 20 minutes out.
Yeah they do have some really nice trails there. Check out the cam from Eagle lift at Copper as of 9am:

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
jtolleson said:
If you must pick a green run to ski with the five-year-olds, I highly recommend Schoolmarm at Keystone. ;)

Seriously, if you every have a newbie you're working with/skiing with, I can still get a kick out of that three-mile-long cruiser...
A few weeks ago I took my 10 year old skiing at Eldora and the wind was so strong that they shut down the main lifts that lead to the only decent skiing there. We had already purchased tix and were there so we were limited to skiing the bottom mountain only--all greens and short at that. It was nice being with my son, but the skiing sucked that day.

·
7,746 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
A few weeks ago I took my 10 year old skiing at Eldora and the wind was so strong that they shut down the main lifts that lead to the only decent skiing there. We had already purchased tix and were there so we were limited to skiing the bottom mountain only--all greens and short at that. It was nice being with my son, but the skiing sucked that day.

In the world of greens, that's kind of the fun of Schoolmarm... it essentially starts at the top of the mountain.

I've never downhilled at Eldora, but I love the Nordic Center. Nice and hilly and a really backcountry feel once you get about 20 minutes out.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wish I had something like that near me. I'm on the west side of Tahoe about 20 miles from Mt. Rose Ski and about the same to Heavenly. The idea of a 3.5 mile glider like that sounds like a blast. I primarily ski Rose as it's the easiest to get to. Great views of Tahoe but short runs overall. Heavenly is better, and as you know, Squaw is one of the best around here. I just don't like dealing with the traffic driving around the lake. Thousands of timid, valley dwelling, Californians putting around.

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,158 Posts
Ridgetop said:
Wish I had something like that near me. I'm on the west side of Tahoe about 20 miles from Mt. Rose Ski and about the same to Heavenly. The idea of a 3.5 mile glider like that sounds like a blast. I primarily ski Rose as it's the easiest to get to. Great views of Tahoe but short runs overall. Heavenly is better, and as you know, Squaw is one of the best around here. I just don't like dealing with the traffic driving around the lake. Thousands of timid, valley dwelling, Californians putting around.

I don't like squaw. :( For some reason, the runs that curve outwards (like skiing on the outside of a dome) scare the buhjeezuhs out of me. I feel like if I fall, I'm not going to stop.

Whereas the stuff at something like Heavenly, (where the runs curve inwards) is a lot more managable.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice snow

Bocephus Jones II said:
Yeah they do have some really nice trails there. Check out the cam from Eagle lift at Copper as of 9am:
Wow. Looks great. You must be getting the storm that roared through here yesterday. Here's the only pics I've taken from a couple of weeks ago. Nothing too special. Deck view from Mt. Rose during a lunch break.

·
a jumped up pantry boy
1,784 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
the first time my dad took me skiing the kid in front of us on the chair lift jumped off. he landed in one of those huge powder banks so he was ok, but thats always freaked me out. it was at the very highest point too, all of a sudden he just jumped.

skiing can be pretty dangerous. its not golf or bowling thats for sure. there is alot of speed and alot of unseen (ie: under the snow) stuff you have to deal with. although i would argue that everything is dangerous. a car could hit you while on your bike, or while in your car, or while walking, or whatever and your toast.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Unfortunately, I think many of the funnest, or at least adrenaline pumping, outdoor activities have an associated risk of injury or death. I guess that's why we do it. The idea of pushing ourselves beyond the daily norm and living to enjoy it. I just can't sit around doing indoor stuff with the Sierras looming up two mile from my front door. Too many roads, too many slopes, too many trails to see.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I used to ski a lot. Throw in the car accidents getting to the slope and I think skiing is a lot more dangerous than cycling. Not to mention the expense. I gave it up. Still kind of miss it, though.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The traffic is always an annoyance, but luckily we live close enough that we just leave an hour before the lifts open and normally we're OK. We're actually even moving closer this summer. So for next year I'll only be seven miles from the first resorts. Also has the additional benefit of placing us nearer to some great biking areas, great MTB areas, and a lot of trails. We're really looking forward to it.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Ridgetop said:
The traffic is always an annoyance, but luckily we live close enough that we just leave an hour before the lifts open and normally we're OK. We're actually even moving closer this summer. So for next year I'll only be seven miles from the first resorts. Also has the additional benefit of placing us nearer to some great biking areas, great MTB areas, and a lot of trails. We're really looking forward to it.
That's cool. We used to drive 3-4 hours from the SF Bay Area to Squaw. Always saw lots of stupid driving. But then we'd be on Granite Chief!!!!

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Henry Chinaski said:
I used to ski a lot. Throw in the car accidents getting to the slope and I think skiing is a lot more dangerous than cycling. Not to mention the expense. I gave it up. Still kind of miss it, though.
Same--the time and expense involved make skiing a relatively rare event for me anymore. Closest ski hill is 30 min away and anything decent is 1.5-2 hours. Taking my 10 year old skiing after renting him equipment and buying tickets is a $100 proposition. Plus there is so much I need to do on a typical weekend I rarely have a whole day off of spend skiing. I take a day here and there anymore during the week when there are less people. Probably ski 4-5 times a season if that anymore. Might start doing more once my kids get older. I still have to teach the 4 year old to ski. My wife doesn't ski which makes taking ski holidays more problematic right now.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I can definitely see how kids can affect such things. We don't have any children at this point but suffer in the fact that a lot of things around the house haven't been getting done. We have season passes which are only around 700 a season for the two of us, but then we feel we need to ski at least a full day on saturday and 1/2 on sunday. Sort of becomes a joke that we are skiing because we have to.

Our friends with kids all have them on the slopes and many of the kids are in the training programs for the little ones. Basically gives the parents 2 1/2 hours to be alone with one another or whatever. But in their case, they are both skiers which makes things easier. I still find it funny when I see some father or mother completely frustrated with their crying five year old who has had it after only a couple of hours. Poor kids little hands are cold and I think in their minds it is one miserable experience. I've noticed the kids in the training program seem to do a lot better as they are surrounded by others their own ages. Seems to play a positive role in their learning experience.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts