Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
5,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any owners of SKS fenders, can you tell me if they are paintable? I have tried calling Harris cyclery several times for the past few days and biz must be so great they don't answer the phone, I get the "high volume of internet traffic....." message. I want to buy from Harris because there are a few other items I need as well and can combine and save shipping cost. The fenders I am looking at are the black ones and they are described as having a gummy (what does that mean?) finish. Is it like an automotive finish like a plastic bumper? I want to scuff it up, spray bulldog paint adhesive/color/clear. I asked a similar question last week, but it was about Planet bike fenders. If SKS are a no paint then I will get the SS Berthoudz.

· Registered
1,149 Posts
I have a set that's 3 years old. The surface is glossy plastic, as molded. There is no outer coating so you could easily paint them if needed. I would suggest that you chemically clean them with Wax and Grease remover (naptha) and several clean rags as they're likely to have mold release on them. Sand with 400 grit. IF you intend to use a light color, you may consider an undercoat of white as the black will severely alter the color. Clear coat and you'd have a set of really sharp fenders.

· Registered
41 Posts
I'm not sure of the plastic makeup of the bumpers, but spray paint can ruin a lot of plastics over time. I would suggest using krylons new paint made specifically for plastics. Works great and doesn't corrode. You should be able to find it anywhere you get regular spray paint.

· Registered
167 Posts
My thoughts:
I agree with the above mentioned idea using the krylon plastic paint...However, the issue with that is that it well....looks like plastic :D . I would suggest using 800g sand paper, as 400g will gouge the plastic too much. Lastly, go to pepboys, etc., and get automotive bumper paint. You want paint that has flex addative in it; regular paint will crack/flake off.

· Registered
5,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked at Soma.......

I have an orange/antique white color scheme, their colors are not even close for what I am looking for, probably the closest would be the silver, very neutral. If i went with silver i may as well spend a few more $$ and go SS Berthoud or get the silver alu version SKS. I also had wondered about flexing and paint sticking. The bulldog product, if some of you are unfamiliar with it is a product you spray on clear before painting and it acts as a paint adhesive. If I have to buy alot of product to get the paint to stick (flex agent) again I prefer SS. Already have paint, bulldog and clear from other projects.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.