Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That seem odd to anyone else? He just crushed the Giro and obviously would be fantastic in the mountains as a worker for Froome. Could they possibly be trying to avoid controversy?

·
have droids, will party
582 Posts
It might be because he crushed the Giro... He may have peaked for that instead of for the Tour and isn't ready.

Considering that Wiggins and Froome were both going to the Tour prior to Wiggins' withdrawl, I'd say Sky isn't too concerned with controversy.

·
Noob
107 Posts
certainly surprising (and disappointing). perhaps they want to assure points for another rider whom they are certain to retain next year?
What would a team like sky gain by having more points? They probably have enough already to be in the top 10 at the end of the year.

Is there any benefit in having more points once you're assured world tour status?

It would be spiteful to hold Uran back from a legit grand tour opportunity. That dude would kill in Spain this year.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
I suspect Plan Uran is being saved for the Veulta - possibly with Froome and/or Porte as Superdomestiques - if they are up for it, which I doubt.

Even if Uran is going to another team - it would indeed be Bruyneel-style spiteful not to give Uran, and the team, a shot at the Veulta win.

·
Registered
750 Posts
The one that really surprised me was leaving rouleur par excellence Eisel off the team.
I think it probably is due to the volume of climbing this year being relatively high - Bernie was a good shepherd/shrink for Cav but won't really be able to offer anything for Froome that the other riders selected don't bring to the table.

·
Noob
107 Posts
I think it probably is due to the volume of climbing this year being relatively high - Bernie was a good shepherd/shrink for Cav but won't really be able to offer anything for Froome that the other riders selected don't bring to the table.
Ian stannard and Edvald Bo Dog are two very good guys for the flat and roller stages. Sky loves Gerrant Thomas for some odd reason. Sounds like Bernie was the odd man out.

I sure hope the two Colombians are just resting for the Vuelta.

·
Masters Neophyte
2,209 Posts
I hope you guys are right- I'd love to see him rip it up at the Vuelta!
(Still... seems like he'd be pretty useful at this year's TdF...)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.