Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From an interview with Shane Sutton:
"Froome goes in as red-hot favorite to win the Tour and possibly the only guy that could have beaten him would have been Bradley."
Guess he forgot that Alberto Contador ( who beat Froome handily at the Vuelta) will be in the race as well and is going to be quite fresh. Rodriquez will be there with quite fresh legs as well. Sky obviously doesn't seem them as a threat as much as Wiggins however.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Part of the psych war build-up to the TdF.
Try and get inside the head of your competition - essentially planting a seed:

"We're going to win the yellow jersey in Paris, so look for stage wins and other jerseys."

Might get in the heads of some guys, but I'm sure Conti is unmoved by that kind of gamesmanship.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
From an interview with Shane Sutton: Guess he forgot that Alberto Contador ( who beat Froome handily at the Vuelta) will be in the race as well and is going to be quite fresh. Rodriquez will be there with quite fresh legs as well. Sky obviously doesn't seem them as a threat as much as Wiggins however.
After Contador's pedestrian ITT in the Dauphine today, I think it's hard to argue against Froome as the red-hot favorite.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
After Contador's pedestrian ITT in the Dauphine today, I think it's hard to argue against Froome as the red-hot favorite.
Perhaps that would be reading a tad too much into one sub-par performance?

How many GTs has Froomie won so far?

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Perhaps that would be reading a tad too much into one sub-par performance?

How many GTs has Froomie won so far?
Not really. The message I was replying to called out the Sky guy for naming Froome as red-hot favorite, and I was pointing out that the Sky guy's point looks much better now. That seems right to me, especially after today when Froome beat Contador in a mountaintop finish. I'm not selling Contador short, he's the best GT rider of this generation, there's plenty of time for him to come good before the Tour, and Froome could be pulling an Iban Mayo in the Dauphine. But 2 1/2 minutes in a time trial, followed by victory in an uphill finish, that's not nothing.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
followed by victory in an uphill finish, that's not nothing.
I'll concede that Conti lost gobs of time to Froome in the ITT, but Froome's piping Conti by 4 seconds today...not impressive.

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not really. The message I was replying to called out the Sky guy for naming Froome as red-hot favorite, and I was pointing out that the Sky guy's point looks much better now. That seems right to me, especially after today when Froome beat Contador in a mountaintop finish. I'm not selling Contador short, he's the best GT rider of this generation, there's plenty of time for him to come good before the Tour, and Froome could be pulling an Iban Mayo in the Dauphine. But 2 1/2 minutes in a time trial, followed by victory in an uphill finish, that's not nothing.
Until last year, who/when was the last time the Dauphine winner won the Tour? I remember Mayo crushing LA and everyone saying LA's day was over. Mayo crushed LA up Alpe d'Huez on the ITT, but a mere month later was nowhere to be seen.

·
Anphaque II
6,176 Posts
Until last year, who/when was the last time the Dauphine winner won the Tour? I remember Mayo crushing LA and everyone saying LA's day was over. Mayo crushed LA up Alpe d'Huez on the ITT, but a mere month later was nowhere to be seen.
IBTM :D

Mayo ended up being mostly hype.

Had Beloki not crashed on that infamous descend, I believe he would have been the genuine threat to Pharmstrong.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.