Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked-up a new black and blue SL01 frameset. As I'm putting the bike together, I notice some imperfections under the clearcoat on the both the fork and the seatpost. It looks like the carbon fiber was either not finished properly or the clearcoat is separating from the carbon fiber. You can see the imperfections as the grey areas in the pictures. Is this just a cosmetic issue? Is this normal for BMC?

·
Registered
531 Posts
I would call them on it. See what BMC has to say.

·
extremely biased
870 Posts
That's what carbon actually looks like. It's a unidirectional carbon so it has a 'grain' and that is what you are seeing.

All and I mean all bikes that are a unidirectional carbon and clearcoated look like that. Look at a cervelo for example.

There is nothing wrong yours.

Starnut

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK. I get that CF has grain. So are the randomly shaped grey areas due to the curing of the resin or how the clear was applied? I've always been under the impression that the clear would fill in any imprefections while still showing the grain but what I'm seeing looks like grey areas on top of the grain.

·
extremely biased
870 Posts
that's what carbon actually ''looks" like. Imagine staining wood or putting lacquer or varnish on a table top. Same thing. I have a super6 frame that we cut up and sanded the paint off of and it looks exactly like that, just not shiny.

Starnut

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Starnut. So basically, the grey patches I'm seeing in the CF is analogous to knots in wood.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
If you read your manual, you see it says to keep carbon fiber reinforced plastic (CFRP) out of the sun. You didn't let sunlight hit it, did you?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Peanya said:
If you read your manual, you see it says to keep carbon fiber reinforced plastic (CFRP) out of the sun. You didn't let sunlight hit it, did you?
The seat post and fork looked like that straight out of the BMC box. So am I supposed to only ride at night?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Call them and send it back. That's imperfection and not your fault. You spent big money and you have customer concerns. To be honest this now a BMC matter.

I bet you anything team BMC's bikes don't have that imperfection on their bikes. Anyone care to make a bet with me? And most likely BMC will take care of you. Just sayin!!

·
extremely biased
870 Posts
Wicked2006 said:
Call them and send it back. That's imperfection and not your fault. You spent big money and you have customer concerns. To be honest this now a BMC matter.

I bet you anything team BMC's bikes don't have that imperfection on their bikes. Anyone care to make a bet with me? And most likely BMC will take care of you. Just sayin!!

Ill take that bet and raise you. Ill bet you 2 full size runs in both colors of SLR01s that that is what it is supposed to look like.

I have 15 SLR01s on my floor and every one looks like that.

It's not an imperfection or a warranty.

I can't believe I have to do this but here are some pics of an SLR01 and an SLX.

These are brand new frames sitting on my floor for sale.

It's not limited to BMC

Here's a pic of my blown up Super6 rear end. We sanded off the paint to show that the rear end is a solid piece but you can see the naked/raw carbon. Same structure.

My Slice looks the same way.

What you're seeing is unidirectional carbon. It's not a weave.

Carbon is not a sexy materal when it's unpainted and is missing the 'vanity' layer on top that looks like "carbon".

Having spent a week at the Tour with the BMC team this year and seeing the Impec factory in CH, I can promise you that the BMC team bikes look exactly like that. Unless they are on an Impec which has a woven tube set in place of a hand laid unidirectional one like these pics.

Starnut

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Starnut, I appreciate your insight. Here's what my LBS got from BMC

Thank you for the pictures – there is absolutely nothing wrong with carbon lay-up in the attached pictures. That is actually how carbon looks like; with no cosmetic carbon weaving applied. It is one the major differences between BMC and other brands, we have nothing to hide, meaning we show the frame.

There are NO structural damages or imperfections in the shown pictures, our Customer can safely ride his BMC.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
88 rex said:
I'll trade forks with you. Mine has yet to see a mile yet. Pay no attention to the aluminum steerer. :)

Where can one find the rubber seal that you have on your seatpost?
Mine came with the seatpost directly from BMC. I'm pretty sure a dealer can order one for you.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Nice point! I just know I wouldn't buy it looking like that.

·
Registered
531 Posts
So explain to me why it looks unfinished and worn? Just so you know I just checked out a Ridley and Stevens bike frames both carbon. And neither of those two frames had what you just showed us in this thread.

To be honest with you I really like BMC bikes though I'm going to shop for something else. Thanks for your insight!

·
extremely biased
870 Posts
that's what carbon looks like. I'm not sure what else to tell you. Unfinshed and worn?

The other 2 bikes you mention have a "vanity" layer of carbon that has the little woven look. It's adds weight and does nothing to make the bike lighter or stronger.

Look at cervelo and the team bikes for Specialized teams and their mountain bikes. Look at cannondales carbon mountain bikes. They all look like this. That's what carbon actually looks like. Actually, that's what unidirectional carbon looks like.

If you don't like the way it looks, buy a bike that has the vanity layer on it to make it "look" like carbon.

Starnut

·
El Papi Chulo
188 Posts
STARNUT some of us appreciate your knowledge and insight, unfortunately their are those who go after the "Look" instead of performance. You're beating a dead horse beyond the grave.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts