Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a medical condition that can bring on insomnia. Its day 12 and feel pretty fatigued and its affecting my workouts. Do you take a sleep aid that doesn't interfere with your training schedule? I need something that will not simply help me sleep but to wake rested. I'm getting enough "sleep" but its all tossing and turning. I'm going to call my doctor later, but I want to make sure I don't take something that will give me a hang-over. I have a 5 hour canoe trip scheduled tomorrow and have to drive early.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Kristin said:
I have a medical condition that can bring on insomnia. Its day 12 and feel pretty fatigued and its affecting my workouts. Do you take a sleep aid that doesn't interfere with your training schedule? I need something that will not simply help me sleep but to wake rested. I'm getting enough "sleep" but its all tossing and turning. I'm going to call my doctor later, but I want to make sure I don't take something that will give me a hang-over. I have a 5 hour canoe trip scheduled tomorrow and have to drive early.
I feel for you. I have been know to take a 3mg tablet of rozerem when I need to. I have insomnia like reactions to one of my other meds and the doc, gave me the rozerem to take as needed. I like it. I don't have that knocked out feeling the next day. I feel rested and alert. It should be recommended that you take it only when you can sleep for more than 6 hrs. I've tried a lot of the different sleep aids and rozerem is the most comfortable sleep i've had. Again I only take it maybe 1 per week as needed. I notice I don't have a dependant feeling while on it that I've had with others.

hope this helps.
DM
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Devilis said:
I feel for you. I have been know to take a 3mg tablet of rozerem when I need to. I have insomnia like reactions to one of my other meds and the doc, gave me the rozerem to take as needed. I like it. I don't have that knocked out feeling the next day. I feel rested and alert. It should be recommended that you take it only when you can sleep for more than 6 hrs. I've tried a lot of the different sleep aids and rozerem is the most comfortable sleep i've had. Again I only take it maybe 1 per week as needed. I notice I don't have a dependant feeling while on it that I've had with others.

hope this helps.
DM
This is exactly the kind of post I was hoping for. When I call my doctor I will mention it by name.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
I use a 3mg melatonin pill when I need help getting to sleep. The first couple times I used it, I felt well rested but still a bit drowsy, although I wouldn't say groggy, in the morning. Since then, really no drowsiness at all in the morning, just a feeling of being rested and even refreshed. YMMV. At any rate, I feel safer using it than actual drugs -- I used to use diphenhydramine ("simply sleep") and it really seemed to hurt my memory after a while. You can usually find it any place with a decent array of vitamins and supplements. It seems to have the interesting side effect of really vivid dreams.
 

· Banned forever.....or not
Joined
·
24,573 Posts
Sleep is for sissies. I get by with 6-1/2 hours a night and hardly ever............................... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,223 Posts
Not sure how this works but if I sleep well, I act LESS like a sissy in bed.

MR_GRUMPY said:
Sleep is for sissies. I get by with 6-1/2 hours a night and hardly ever............................... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Makes sense to me

covenant said:
I only get insomina after a hard ride....strange, no?
5mgs of Ambien put me right out.
Especially in when I first start getting back into things after the winter, I'm constantly tearing, repairing muscle and that can cause some very minor pain that I don't really notice, but can disturb my sleep.
 

· It's all ball bearings
Joined
·
5,285 Posts
Ambien gets the job done without the after effects of many other sleep aids. Just don't take it too often.

A better alternative treatment for insomnia that has worked wonders for me is hypnotherapy. A few sessions with a good hypnotherapist can do the trick.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Will that work for all insomnia?

BenWA said:
Ambien gets the job done without the after effects of many other sleep aids. Just don't take it too often.

A better alternative treatment for insomnia that has worked wonders for me is hypnotherapy. A few sessions with a good hypnotherapist can do the trick.
Various treatments like this will depend on the underlying cause. Hypnotherapy tends to have more sucess when the cause is stress related, emotional (worry/anxiety) or psychosomatic. I'm not sure this would work if the underlying cause is related to a disorder of the central nervious system.
 

· It's all ball bearings
Joined
·
5,285 Posts
Kristin said:
Various treatments like this will depend on the underlying cause. Hypnotherapy tends to have more sucess when the cause is stress related, emotional (worry/anxiety) or psychosomatic. I'm not sure this would work if the underlying cause is related to a disorder of the central nervious system.
That's a good question that I don't know the answer to...
 

· Banned
Joined
·
2,767 Posts
I feel for you. As a result of some injuries, I had my sleep all screwed up. I asked about Ambien, and the doc said it was effective but not a good choice for long term tx of sleep issues. She prescribed Trazadone. Trazadone is a tricyclic drug--used to be used as an anti-depressant, but now they've found that it is a great sleep aid that can be used for long term tx of sleep problems.

It worked very well, with me not really feeling any effects in the morning....and the first thing I do in the morning when I go out the door is hop on my bike for the 15 mile ride to school/work. I don't take it very often, now, since activity has expedited the healing of some of those injuries, so my sleep is generally better.
 

· your god hates me
Joined
·
1,616 Posts
Ray Dockrey said:
I find what works best for me is two Tylenol P.M. As long as I can devote eight hours.

LOL! If I can *only* devote eight hours I'll take 1 Tylenol PM; I need a good 10-12 hours clear before I'll eat the pair.

But it works great. I'm out instantly, I wake up with absolutely no memory of the entire night, and (most importantly) I feel remarkably well rested.
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top