Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sleep is a huge part of a solid recovery and recovery is the number one most important thing in training.

Its well known that one must get around 8 hours to be able to fully recover from workouts.

My question is if there is any positive or negative breaking the sleep schedual up. For example instead of getting 8 solid hours, sleeping 3-6 hours at night and than sleeping again later in the day for 2-4 hours.

Basicly because of starting a new schedual I have been doing this. I have to get up for work at 2am and get home around 12:30pm. I could go to bed around 6pm and get a solid block of sleep but is there any disadvantage to sleeping less hours multiple times a day? I am asking both for general health as well as muscle recovery from training.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
""Mounting evidence suggests, however, that nocturnal awakenings aren't abnormal at all; they are the natural rhythm that your body gravitates toward. According to historians and psychiatrists alike, it is the compressed, continuous eight-hour sleep routine to which everyone aspires today that is unprecedented in human history. We've been sleeping all wrong lately — so if you have "insomnia," you may actually be doing things right.''

Busting the 8-Hour Sleep Myth: Why You Should Wake Up in the Night | Biphasic Sleeping | Insomnia & the Science of Sleep | LiveScience

·
Registered
21,725 Posts
Sleep is a huge part of a solid recovery and recovery is the number one most important thing in training.

Its well known that one must get around 8 hours to be able to fully recover from workouts.

My question is if there is any positive or negative breaking the sleep schedual up. For example instead of getting 8 solid hours, sleeping 3-6 hours at night and than sleeping again later in the day for 2-4 hours.

Basicly because of starting a new schedual I have been doing this. I have to get up for work at 2am and get home around 12:30pm. I could go to bed around 6pm and get a solid block of sleep but is there any disadvantage to sleeping less hours multiple times a day? I am asking both for general health as well as muscle recovery from training.
One school of thought is that since your body produces natural growth hormones during the start of sleep, it is better to have two sleep periods per day to spread out the hormone production. Whether there is actual science to support this, I know not. I read the suggestion from some top level pro as to why he took a nap every afternoon.

·
Registered
89 Posts
""Mounting evidence suggests, however, that nocturnal awakenings aren't abnormal at all; they are the natural rhythm that your body gravitates toward. According to historians and psychiatrists alike, it is the compressed, continuous eight-hour sleep routine to which everyone aspires today that is unprecedented in human history. We've been sleeping all wrong lately — so if you have "insomnia," you may actually be doing things right.''

Busting the 8-Hour Sleep Myth: Why You Should Wake Up in the Night | Biphasic Sleeping | Insomnia & the Science of Sleep | LiveScience
Helpful article. Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.