Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have a question about my decisions to sleep or train. I've started doing higher intensity work for the collegiate season. I get 8 hours of sleep a night, but many times I still need a nap in the middle of the day to make it through. There are some days where I feel constantly fatigued, even after plenty of sleep. On days like this, I will sleep instead of ride.

So, my question is: Is it better to go out and do some low intensity or just take my nap?

And of course the implied question here is: Am I overdoing my training? :rolleyes: I really overdid it last year, and this sounds like a sign that I'm overdoing it again. My problem is that if I'm not feeling that great during a ride, I can never tell if I'm tired or out of shape!!

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
If you're still in College, my adice is to SLEEP - if you have the time.

School comes 1st - it's what you or your folks are paying for, not cycling. You've got plenty of time to race some May, not to mention the fact that it's still the off season, even if the college season is coming up soon.

Why burn yourself out now - for the entire season, or even the next few years?

sleep tight!

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :)

pavedroad said:
Hi everyone, I have a question about my decisions to sleep or train. I've started doing higher intensity work for the collegiate season. I get 8 hours of sleep a night, but many times I still need a nap in the middle of the day to make it through. There are some days where I feel constantly fatigued, even after plenty of sleep. On days like this, I will sleep instead of ride.

So, my question is: Is it better to go out and do some low intensity or just take my nap?

And of course the implied question here is: Am I overdoing my training? :rolleyes: I really overdid it last year, and this sounds like a sign that I'm overdoing it again. My problem is that if I'm not feeling that great during a ride, I can never tell if I'm tired or out of shape!!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Sleep does a body good. While asleep, your body will produce levels of Hgh and will aid recovery.

Can't find the quote, but a passage in the book Lance Armstrong's War states the importance of sleep especially after hard workouts.

One of the things an athlete needs to learn is to listen to their body. Tired? Then rest. The last thing any of us wants is to overtrain to exhaustion.

·
go up
648 Posts
How long a nap are you taking?

Sleep and ride. . . Often, a 20 - 30 minute nap is enough to get the dead-tired feeling to go away. So take a short nap, then get out for a ride.

·
Registered
896 Posts
are you supplementing?

1. A-Type, one-a-day vitamins to keep you healthy
2. B-Type, other supplements that benefit strength and/or endurance, but have a side affect of making you drowsy during the day

I've taken B-types that make me so drowsy I fell like I have narcalepsy(sic)

deadlegs said:
How long a nap are you taking?

Sleep and ride. . . Often, a 20 - 30 minute nap is enough to get the dead-tired feeling to go away. So take a short nap, then get out for a ride.

·
Registered
164 Posts
You've started doing high-intensity training in January? Add to that the stress of a new semester just starting, and you're heading for a classic case of over-training.

How much base mileage did you do prior to beginning high-intensity training? You're probably tired out because your body is pissed at you. Getting plenty of rest is the best thing you can do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts