Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone ever used these slime-brand "self-healing" tubes? i'm just wondering whether or not they actually work.

thanks,
hank

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
I have. They don't. Make an awful mess when they don't. Weigh a ton. Avoid them......

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Dave_Stohler said:
I have. They don't. Make an awful mess when they don't. Weigh a ton. Avoid them......
WORD!! That stuff is evil!

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
I used 'em for several years and then stopped... I'd say my rate of flats was consistent throughout. Best defense is good tire pressure and watching where you ride.

I never thought the mess was bad but they are a tad heavy and pretty dang pricey.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I used slime tubes.. but ONLY on the Mt. Bike...
And yes... They can be messy and they are ABSOLUTELY too heavy to use on a road bike... maybe not if you're touring.. but I'd never put them on a nice set of light racing rims.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Mr. Tuffy's

Try Mr. Tuffy tire liners, I don't know what they weigh, And there's NO mess to clean up...
Plus you can take them out on race day...

·
Banned
608 Posts
hsway said:
has anyone ever used these slime-brand "self-healing" tubes? i'm just wondering whether or not they actually work.
They work great on MTBs in the Land of the Goathead. Specialized Airlock fluid works better than Slime, though.

MTBs run a lot less pressure than road tires. Maybe that makes the stuff seal better than high pressure road tires. MTB tires are still ridable after a bit of air leaks out before the hole seals. I know that if my road tires go below 90 psi they feel sort of soft and squirly, so that might be another reason Slime may not work well on the road.

The stuff is so heavy I can't imagine using it on the road. Your bike would ride like crap.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Mr Tuffy is a great alterative if you wish to use some sort tire protective device for either the road or mountain. Ive used them on my Giant with Michlen Pro Race tires and Campy wheels and have had no flats as of yet. I also have not noticed any adverse problems as far as riding comfort or handling once they were in place. They go in easy enough and are pretty thin and very pliable as well and easy to insert. To me they are worth the extra minute weight that they add in exchange for not routinely repairing aggravating flats.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts