Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Business and local governments are installing these Tactile Warning Devices everywhere to assist blind people. I was entering a bike trail and had to ride over one of these and had my bike slip out from under me. It was like hitting ice. Hard as rock plastic with no grip. Hurt my wrist, shoulder and ruined a nice helmet. Anyone else feel the wrath of these ridiculous things? Seems that by improving safety for one group the government is creating a hazard for the rest of us. I was not going very fast when my my bike slipped out from under me.

Clothing Trousers Standing Asphalt Jeans

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
That's weird. I've ridden over things like that a number of times and never noticed them being slick. Maybe it was new with some residual oil or something? Sounds strange.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,963 Posts
That's weird. I've ridden over things like that a number of times and never noticed them being slick. Maybe it was new with some residual oil or something? Sounds strange.
Around here they're metal, and treacherous when wet. Like most metal road hazards. Never slipped on one, but I always make sure to not try and change direction on them.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Tough sh*t. Your every day life is so easy. Imagine for a moment not being able to see. Really, go there and imagine it. Now come back and whine. I'm having a hard time even imagining this post? "I crashed because ADA infrastructure advances to help BLIND people are a hazard." I'm glad I don't know you in real life. Really, really glad. "Ridiculous things?" Those sh*t heel blind people are so cramping your cycling style. We should just round up people with disabilities and shoot them because trying to make their lives livable AT ALL, might make ours a little, tiny bit inconvenienced. Learn how to ride your damn bike. You disgust me beyond words. What's next? That Brail on the ATM just kills my fingers!!!!!! Pig.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Tough sh*t. Your every day life is so easy. Imagine for a moment not being able to see. Really, go there and imagine it. Now come back and whine. I'm having a hard time even imagining this post? "I crashed because ADA infrastructure advances to help BLIND people are a hazard." I'm glad I don't know you in real life. Really, really glad. "Ridiculous things?" Those sh*t heel blind people are so cramping your cycling style. We should just round up people with disabilities and shoot them because trying to make their lives livable AT ALL, might make ours a little, tiny bit inconvenienced. Learn how to ride your damn bike. You disgust me beyond words. What's next? That Brail on the ATM just kills my fingers!!!!!! Pig.
Also why are you riding on sidewalk?

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
I didn't see that one coming.

Besides, don't these pose a hazard for blind cyclists?

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
Aha, so somebody actually slipped out on one of those? I've hit them on wet and icy sidewalks. Concrete still has good grip. Then you hit one of these plastic sheets and the wheels slide over the bumps. They should make them with a grippier surface. They're also in the only place to roll into the street from sidewalk, so rider has to go over them, or jump the curb. They're like those speed bumps along highway shoulders, manhole covers, steel plates. Yet another danger lurking in the urban jungle.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I had no idea what the purpose of those things are. I've ridden over them many times without issue. I'm pretty sure the ones around my neck of the woods are textured and slip-proof.

Anyway, thanks for educating me. I always wondered what those were.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Seems that by improving safety for one group the government is creating a hazard for the rest of us.
You're not alone in that belief. There are folks with mobility impairments that state that these plates form barriers for them, they fear that their manual wheelchair will "trip" on the dots and they'll fall on their face. But they know that if they complain or suggest ways that these things can be improved (add texture to them for cyclists' safety, leave sections free of the raised dots for folks with other impairments) they'll face the same ignorant wrath that you just faced on this thread.

These things can be improved & yet continue to provide value to the blind community. It is a worthwhile warning on this forum to let people know that they can pose a risk to cyclists.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
In my neck of the woods (south NJ) they are made of a brick material and then placed within the sidewalk. I think these are well-intentioned but sometimes the government goes too far. There is an intersection on one of my routes with a traffic light. They installed these on all 4 corners of the intersection. The problem is there are no sidewalks anywhere near there. Its a rural area and at the intersection there is nothing but farmland on all sides. I assume some law forced them to do this. A big waste of money

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Now, let's be a big boy and use the words you'd actually use in front of a real grown up. I'm pretty sure that OP doesn't kick canes out from under blind people while he's stuffing frame pumps in wheelchairs.

I don't do MUTs or sidewalks, so I have not idea how slippery the foot brail pads are. If they don't have any traction (sand, etc.) as part of the coating, I'd bet they'd be damn near ice when wet. And I'll just bet ya, if you surveyed 1,000 blind people and asked "Hey, if we kept those things, but added some grippy to them, would you be okay with that"?... probably be in the 999 range on the "OK" end of the results.

And yes, if other people - pedestrians, cyclists, people in wheelchairs - are slipping, then it is a ridiculous design. Seems some engineer (and a whole bunch of people who approved the design) missed something... and they'll get it right on the next version.

·
Huge in Japan
456 Posts
The ones here are slippery to walk on when they are wet. I'm sure they could be improved while still serving their intended purpose.

Please don't take this as me wishing for blind people to be drawn and quartered, it's just an observation.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Now Now, while I agree with your sentiment, that was a quite harsh, and unnecessary.

They have those things all along the metro lines in DC as well, and are fine on the underground stations, but above ground ones, where they get wet when it rains, they get slippery as hell (well at least with my work shoes when I used to use metro).

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
The ones here are slippery to walk on when they are wet. I'm sure they could be improved while still serving their intended purpose.

Please don't take this as me wishing for blind people to be drawn and quartered, it's just an observation.
I agree that having blind people drawn and quartered is excessive. Instead, they should be beaten with a cane. They already have a cane, so its kinda like they are asking for it. Hopefully no blind people are reading this

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,963 Posts
Now, let's be a big boy and use the words you'd actually use in front of a real grown up. I'm pretty sure that OP doesn't kick canes out from under blind people while he's stuffing frame pumps in wheelchairs.

I don't do MUTs or sidewalks, so I have not idea how slippery the foot brail pads are. If they don't have any traction (sand, etc.) as part of the coating, I'd bet they'd be damn near ice when wet. And I'll just bet ya, if you surveyed 1,000 blind people and asked "Hey, if we kept those things, but added some grippy to them, would you be okay with that"?... probably be in the 999 range on the "OK" end of the results.

And yes, if other people - pedestrians, cyclists, people in wheelchairs - are slipping, then it is a ridiculous design. Seems some engineer (and a whole bunch of people who approved the design) missed something... and they'll get it right on the next version.
More likely the engineers knew about the slipperiness when wet.

However doing anything about it would affect the longevity of the pads (coating with rubber)....and/or drastically increase the purchase cost. Both of which cities worry about much more than non-existent cyclists.....well admit it, cyclists especially on bald roadie tires are unique snowflakes statistically in the USA.

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
the republican nominee will fix this within the first ten days IO.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.