Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just converted my bike from 7 speed downtube shifters to 10 speed STI.

New drivetrain goodies: Shimano 5700 shifters and cassette, Shimano SP-41 housing and PTFE cable, and 10 speed KMC chain.

Chain is brand new. Cable and housing is brand new. 5700 shifters and cassette are used.

Got cassette on eBay. Seller said it has only "50 miles" and it looks really clean. But the problem is that on one cog in the middle of the cassette the chain slips. Otherwise shifting is great.

Note: when I say the chain is slipping, it's not slipping up or down the cassette - it stays on the same cog and feels like it's slipping forward a link on the cassette. Here's a video (can't really see much but you can hear it).

I took it to LBS today and mechanic said problem is the cassette. I'm tempted to believe the mechanic. He looked at chain rings, said they weren't worn / weren't the problem (and if they were it seems like chain would skip on other cogs too) and that if the chain was a new, 10 speed chain (it is) then the problem is the cassette.

Anyways, figured I'd post here before calling the eBay seller out.

Is there something else that could be causing this or is this definitely a worn out cog on the cassette?

Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
40,842 Posts
So I just converted my bike from 7 speed downtube shifters to 10 speed STI.

New drivetrain goodies: Shimano 5700 shifters and cassette, Shimano SP-41 housing and PTFE cable, and 10 speed KMC chain.

Chain is brand new. Cable and housing is brand new. 5700 shifters and cassette are used.

Got cassette on eBay. Seller said it has only "50 miles" and it looks really clean. But the problem is that on one cog in the middle of the cassette the chain slips. Otherwise shifting is great.

Note: when I say the chain is slipping, it's not slipping up or down the cassette - it stays on the same cog and feels like it's slipping forward a link on the cassette. Here's a video (can't really see much but you can hear it).

I took it to LBS today and mechanic said problem is the cassette. I'm tempted to believe the mechanic. He looked at chain rings, said they weren't worn / weren't the problem (and if they were it seems like chain would skip on other cogs too) and that if the chain was a new, 10 speed chain (it is) then the problem is the cassette.

Anyways, figured I'd post here before calling the eBay seller out.

Is there something else that could be causing this or is this definitely a worn out cog on the cassette?

Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance!

That's a worn cassette.

The skip-under-load is one indicator; the fact that it does it in the middle cog (the one normally used the most) is another.

Theoretically, I suppose the infinitesimal possibility exists that there was some sort of manufacturing/assembly defect, but the "50 miles" the previous owner ran it would've caused the problem then--and I'll bet he didn't disclose any such problem to you when you bought it.

Good luck getting your coin back.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Agreed.

One thing I'd never buy used is a cassette. Just buy a new one. We're only talking $40.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,449 Posts
1) So you are saying this did not happen with old setup?

2) And the skipping only happens with that one cog?

If yes to both, then yes, it a worn cassette. EBay does have a buyer protection policy. But try to work it out with the seller first. If he/she refuses a return/refund, then by all means, take it up with EBay.

As Julio said, cassettes are cheap, especially 10-speed cassettes. Absolutely no reason to risk used ones. See below:

https://tinyurl.com/yaoafjju

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
That's a worn cassette.

The skip-under-load is one indicator; the fact that it does it in the middle cog (the one normally used the most) is another.

Theoretically, I suppose the infinitesimal possibility exists that there was some sort of manufacturing/assembly defect, but the "50 miles" the previous owner ran it would've caused the problem then--and I'll bet he didn't disclose any such problem to you when you bought it.

Good luck getting your coin back.
Yep.

Even if you give the seller the benefit of the doubt, where it might have worked fine on his bike because the chain was worn proportionally to his worn cassette, it's got way more than 500 miles on it and won't work with your new chain.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all for the feedback. Some comments in reply below...

1) So you are saying this did not happen with old setup?

2) And the skipping only happens with that one cog?

If yes to both, then yes, it a worn cassette.
(1) Yes, this did not happen on the old setup.
(2) Yes, just the one cog. Other cogs hold the chain fine.

Agreed.

One thing I'd never buy used is a cassette. Just buy a new one. We're only talking $40.
As Julio said, cassettes are cheap, especially 10-speed cassettes. Absolutely no reason to risk used ones. See below:

https://tinyurl.com/yaoafjju

I understand cassettes aren't super expensive but I'm cheap, thought I could trust the guy and save 50% (it was only $17 including shipping) so I pulled the trigger.

You live. You learn. Next cassette will be new.

Yep.

Even if you give the seller the benefit of the doubt, where it might have worked fine on his bike because the chain was worn proportionally to his worn cassette, it's got way more than 500 miles on it and won't work with your new chain.
Yeah, had 100% feedback selling a bunch of the bike stuff and the cassette was super shiny and new looking so I thought I could trust his 50 mile claim but I was fooled.

My theory is that he used it on an indoor trainer which is why it looks new and he thought he could get away with the 50 mile claim. Either way, its got a lot of miles.

EBay does have a buyer protection policy. But try to work it out with the seller first. If he/she refuses a return/refund, then by all means, take it up with EBay.
I contacted the seller 24 hours ago. No reply yet. Think he realizes I discovered his 50 mile deception. Either way I'll give him a little longer to reply.

Problem with some cheap items is sometimes it's not worth the time or money to ship the item back. it was $11 + $6 shipping. So if I spend $6 to ship it back and get an $11 refund (net $5 refund) is it worth it? Also, unless eBay has changed things since my last return, I think that effectively cancels the transaction preventing me from leaving feedback and provides no disincentive for the seller be shady in the future.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,449 Posts
I understand cassettes aren't super expensive but I'm cheap, thought I could trust the guy and save 50% (it was only $17 including shipping) so I pulled the trigger.
Buy cheap, buy twice.

Yeah, had 100% feedback selling a bunch of the bike stuff and the cassette was super shiny and new looking so I thought I could trust his 50 mile claim but I was fooled.
A good cleaning can fool the best of us.

So if I spend $6 to ship it back and get an $11 refund (net $5 refund) is it worth it?
That's your call. How valuable is your time?

Also, unless eBay has changed things since my last return, I think that effectively cancels the transaction preventing me from leaving feedback and provides no disincentive for the seller be shady in the future.
That's not your problem. You are obligated to contact the seller. If he never replies back or replies back and tells you to go scratch, a negative review is warranted. If he issues you a refund, it becomes irrelevant. Of course you end up losing $6 and some time. If the seller is large and does a lot of transactions, it could even be a human error like a switched item or even an item he didn't know much about other than what he was told by other employees.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.