Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I bought a bike used bike (steel) that the previous owner had installed a carbon fork.
Contacted the manufacturer and they located a steel fork for me.
I took the fork to have a new crown race installed and it is sloppy. ie does not fit tightly on the fork just above the unicrown.
I know the race needs to be solid.
I purchased some JenWeld last night, mixed it up and put a super thin layer on the steerer tube.
Actually I think I put too much and will have to sand it down a little thus intsall might have to wait until tomorrow.

Do you guys think this will work? The fok is useless and I only paid 40 dollars for it so returning is not an option.

· Menace to Society
627 Posts
It depends HOW loose it was on the fork.
if it was just loose enough where it didn't need to be actually "pressed" on but still snug, it will probably be ok or you can take the race off and "knurl" the fork (there's a tool for this but you can do it by taking a punch and going all around the fork where the race goes and dimpling it) I've seen shims on there made of Coke cans too but I'm not too keen on those even though they seem to work. Red LocTite works too

However, if it had a lot of clearance in there like it could move from side to side, I would not use it that way at all.

· duh...
9,749 Posts
yeah, knurling tool... a good shop will have one and it's a 2min job. you'd want this done right to seat the race exactly centered on the steerer, which might or night not work w/ a homejob. chances of getting it right are much better w/ the proper/knurling tool

or maybe they gave you iso diameter when you need jis? maybe just a new crown race of the proper diameter?

· Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK so the kurling tool might be the best solution but did I mess up by applying the JB Weld?
I could remove the JB Weld and have it curled or take it to the shop today and see if they can press it on.
I don't think it is an JIS vs ISO.

I have 3 of these bikes (exactly) and ordered the exact headset for all three.
I believe the fork was a left over fork due to being incorrect form the start.

· Registered
21,865 Posts
Wrong size?

pigpen said:
So, I bought a bike used bike (steel) that the previous owner had installed a carbon fork.
Contacted the manufacturer and they located a steel fork for me.
I took the fork to have a new crown race installed and it is sloppy. ie does not fit tightly on the fork just above the unicrown.
I know the race needs to be solid.
I purchased some JenWeld last night, mixed it up and put a super thin layer on the steerer tube.
Actually I think I put too much and will have to sand it down a little thus intsall might have to wait until tomorrow.

Do you guys think this will work? The fok is useless and I only paid 40 dollars for it so returning is not an option.
You are aware, are you not, that there are JIS crown race (27.0 mm) and ISO crown race seats (26.4 mm). It sounds to me like you have a 26.4 mm crown race seat and a 27.0 mm crown race.n Just asking.

· Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am very aware.
The seat measure out to be about .1mm smaller than 26.4mm.
Thus the slop.

Reading Chris Kings site they say they have undersized base plates available.
The shop requested an undersized plate and was told they were not available.

If the slop returns from my temp fix I will persue King for an undersized base plate.

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.