Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone with an SLT01 for a year or more had any frame problems ie cracking etc? As well-made as BMC seem to be made (I've got a Streetfire), am a bit unsure of the idea of glueing tubes into lugs. Cervelo R2.5s suffered because of this. A SLT01 is on my short-list for a new bike, but I'd like to hear of others experiences....

·
Registered
380 Posts
I've had my SLT for nearly three seasons now and over 12K miles and have had no cracking problems. It's a very solid, dependable bike. From what I have heard from people who know more about manufacturing techniques than I do, the bonding process is supposed to leave the joints at least as strong if not stronger than other parts of the frame.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This may or may not germane to finding information on the SLT01, but I've had a streetfire for 2 years and just noticed that the large aluminum lug with 2-bolt seat clamp is developing cracks going straight through to the seat post. It is splitting right at the top of collar of the lug going down about 2+ inches. Hopefully they pull through with the warranty. Maybe a testament to the overall build quality (which otherwise seems very good) and perhaps customer service as well. Anyone experience this?

·
Registered
578 Posts
pinkhuffy said:
This may or may not germane to finding information on the SLT01, but I've had a streetfire for 2 years and just noticed that the large aluminum lug with 2-bolt seat clamp is developing cracks going straight through to the seat post. It is splitting right at the top of collar of the lug going down about 2+ inches. Hopefully they pull through with the warranty. Maybe a testament to the overall build quality (which otherwise seems very good) and perhaps customer service as well. Anyone experience this?
question for you seatpost guys.. do you guys have the seatpost clamps with 2 plates and 2 bolts and washers... or only 1 plate with 2 bolts.. .and the head of the bolts on the drive side just sits onto the lug itself???

if just the 1 plate version.. i recommend that you contact bmc or your local dealer... for about 10-15$ you can get the updated seatcollar bolt/clamps which seems to distribute more of the pressure evenly.. also make sure you guys are using TORQUE wrenches... you just cant over torque that section..

another note also.. do you guys have EASTON EC70/EC90 seatposts with flat spots on the rear? its no secret that EASTON is the supplier for BMC however if you notice on their seatposts they have a flat spot on the rear of the seatpost... and there is a slight gap in the seatpost lug on bmcs which seem to pinch... seems like a design flaw which causes stress and cracks on either the post or lug etc.....

that also can be solved by getting a round seatpost to fit into your frame..

·
Registered
2 Posts
It was a 2006 model, so it was the older 1 plate clamp. The seatpost was an FSA carbon post. It was round--no flat spots...I was careful not to overtighten with the carbon post, though it would be nice if they had provided the proper torque for those bolts. I brought the frame to a local dealer and they returned it to the distributor (QBP). Got a replacement frame back in less than a week. Impressive. Though the local dealer commented that this frame fails quite often at the seat lug, and that QBP won't be importing this model next year.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.