Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Kilt wearing, old man
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I was planning to be in Portland for Reunion Weekend (June 23-25, 2006) at the University of Portland, and there were several rides scheduled in conjunction with PedalPalooza, my only decision was which ride was best for me.

I took into consideration my past practices at previous reunion weekends and decided that any ride would have to be in the under-25 mile category, and start somewhere between 10:00 and 12 noon (on Saturday the 24th). The ride that best met those criteria was the Rose Ride of Slug Velo.

So after getting to bed at 2:00 in the morning, I wake up at 9:30 and get my act together. By 10:20 I’m actually on the road, riding my 1973 vintage Montgomery Ward touring bike, from the dormitory at the school where I am staying (@ $10.00 per night). I have 3.2 miles to ride to the starting point of the Rose Ride, and plenty of time, so I take it easy and warm up gently. Anyway, I arrive at Peninsula Park early enough to enjoy the sights and to meet the others in our eclectic group of riders. Including one gentleman who’s MTB had been modified to accommodate his one-leg riding style. (Think a one-sided crank set, and a PVC tube scabbard on the other side for his crutches).

A bit after 11:00 all 19 of us get started on what turns out to be a (slightly over) 11 mile ride. Departing Peninsula Park, we headed eastward until we hit 79th. From there, it was slightly south and west, crossing Sandy Blvd, and going over I-84 near Providence Medical center.

Eventually, we reached our ride’s end, Ladd Circle, at 16th and Harrison.

·
Kilt wearing, old man
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After the ride, several of us traveled a few blocks to the Barley Mill Pub, one of the McMeninam’s establishments. The theme of this pub could best be described as “Grateful Dead”, complete with a shrine to Jerry Garcia.

Our ride leader, Beth, and the others I lunched with, helped plan the route back to my starting point. So from the Barley Mill I traveled west on Hawthorne to the (Vera Katz) East Bank Esplanade, then north to the Rose Quarter.

From that point, I used bike lanes on surface streets until I returned to my starting point.

Despite the temperature being in the mid-80’s at the end, this was a thoroughly enjoyable ride that my computer reported as being 23.63 total miles (from dorm room door to dorm room door).

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Great report, any ride that ends at a bar........

By 10:20 I’m actually on the road, riding my 1973 vintage Montgomery Ward touring bike,

I was hoping to see pix of the bike. A true classic!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.