Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a long while I have not felt like I was getting as much power while riding which made riding more and more less enjoyable. I remember on my old bike that I would be cranking along and would actually say to myself, 'The pistons are cranking now'...just something i would think when I would be doing good and my legs felt great and were cranking along. Have not had that feeling in a long time. Also, my thighs would seem to burn out a lot quicker than before and my hill climbing was suffering. Being 6'4" I felt like I always needed to raise my saddle to get better performance. Well, Saturday I decided to do some checking and experimenting. Low and behold, I could not touch either pedal at bottom stroke with my heal while in my riding shoes (Sidi WITH the rubber heal for walking). Hmm, that doesn't seem right even though my saddle height was perfect based on 0.883 calulation. I lowered the saddle to where I could touch the pedal with the rubber on the heal, measured the thickness of the rubber heal and lowered the saddle that much as well. This resulted in a drop of a little over 1 cm. I also moved the saddle back about 1cm. Before gonig on a real ride, I pedaled up to a LBS and asked them to check my knee extension and my knee placement to make sure I haven't totally screwed up my position. They measured and said the knee angle at bottom stroke was right at 30degrees and the plumb line fell right at pedal axle. This was after I made the changes. The guy said I could even lower it a little more and move the saddle back a little more for even more power (I always assumed higher and more forward would give more power???). I left saddle where I had adjusted it to and went on my normal route on Sunday WITHOUT any monitoring (no HR, no cadence, no speed). Position felt good and I did FEEL more powerful but without actual numbers, who knows, maybe just a good ride. Last night, got all wired up and went on the ride again. Normally I do 20-25miles on weeknights and have to push really hard to avg around 19-20mph. Last night was typical and I went on my normal ride. I did feel strong and bike position felt good. A couple times during the ride I passed some lines and a couple times the front riders 'sucked on'. Usually I don't mind but didn't want to get caught up with drafting as it is too tempting to slip back and take a break after leading so I would pull out around a corner and I felt very strong - much more than normal. After 25 miles I was 'hesitant' to check average, but it came out to be 21.4mph without any help during ride. Maybe I just had a GREAT ride (for me), but maybe I just had my saddle too high and too forward. I did feel like I was utilizing thighs, hams, glutes, and even calves during ride to generate power instead of just thights. Oh well.....hopefully Thursday night won't prove me wrong!

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
what did you change that caused you to stop feeling you had power?

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
2cflyr said:
and why is this in teh lownge?
Give him a break. He's been in a 20-year coma. He doesn't know the rules.

I couldn''t believe how much a simple change like adding spacers to move my pedals out would make to how I felt on the bike.

·
Mehpic
8,162 Posts
mohair_chair said:
Give him a break. He's been in a 20-year coma. He doesn't know the rules.

I couldn''t believe how much a simple change like adding spacers to move my pedals out would make to how I felt on the bike.
well, if we're going all NNC here, the most mind-blowing change I ever did was to make sure that the cleats on my shoes were properly positioned- and they were moved not much.

back pain went away, overall speed was increased, and my quality of life went up.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought...

2cflyr said:
******!

BAM!

and why is this in teh lownge?
You could post whatever you wanted in the lounge...that it was the forum for people that like road biking and wish to share something. Guess I was wrong. Guess it is just for posting completely useless sh*t.....

·
Mehpic
8,162 Posts
MCF said:
You could post whatever you wanted in the lounge...that it was the forum for people that like road biking and wish to share something. Guess I was wrong. Guess it is just for posting completely useless sh*t.....
nail. head. hit square.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got a new bike last May and had a couple professional fittings....

tomk96 said:
what did you change that caused you to stop feeling you had power?
new bike and fitting. No problems, just not ideal for me. I tell people fittings are great for starting, but no matter what, the fitter is going to have a preference for what he likes and will lean that way. Get it setup but don't be afraid to experiment a little to find what works for you...just make sure you document starting point so you can get back to it if it all goes wrong.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
MCF said:
new bike and fitting. No problems, just not ideal for me. I tell people fittings are great for starting, but no matter what, the fitter is going to have a preference for what he likes and will lean that way. Get it setup but don't be afraid to experiment a little to find what works for you...just make sure you document starting point so you can get back to it if it all goes wrong.
you can take measurements from your old bike. i suggest looking. small changes make a BIG difference.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
MCF said:
Depends on the fitter. Sure, you can never completely eliminate bias from any human endeavor, but a decent fit 'philosophy' starts and ends with 'what are this guys goals, and what are his limiters.' The range of fitter influence ought to be fairly narrow.

You've not been fitted by any fitter that ever mentioned, thought, or said anything about 0.883, KOPS, hidden front hubs, or any of the rest of that blather. That's barely 'sized' - 'fit' is something completely other.

But yeah - absolutely don't be afraid to fiddle, and don't fall for the myth that there's one 'right' position for you, for all time, and for all conditions. Heck, even if your fit is by some definition 'perfect' - a little change now and then can bring benefit.

//Funny, but my 'correct' seat position (the one at which I perform best and hurt least) always feels somehow too low. If I'm not careful, I 'fiddle' my way into a toes-down nightmare, which given my particular lack of flexibility is not a good thing at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts