Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently hit some road debris on a descent and flatted the rear tire, attached to a carbon/aluminum rim. Closer inspection found a small dent near the rim top, close to where the tire attaches. First time I've encountered this and am curious if others have been able to safely ride up and down hills for miles on a carbon/aluminum rim (Shimano Dura Ace C24) with a small dent at or near this rim location?

Leave it alone and ride, or replace?

Photos attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
536 Posts
If it is a insy leave it alone, if it is a outsy file it down so the brakes track smoothly. If you try to bend it back you'll prolly do more damage.

As long as the carbon is not cracked there, I would ride it, but I would keep a eye on it.

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
if the rim tracks straight with no wobble and there's no issues when braking, should be ok.

love my C24s, really nice wheelset.

·
Huge in Japan
456 Posts
Deflate the tire and look at the bead hook in its entirety. Specifically see if it kicked a burr or sharp edge in toward the tire, that could be a wear point. If it caused any kind of sharp disruption anywhere it contacts the tire smooth it out and then ride it.

Do your brakes pulse?

·
Registered
829 Posts
I damaged a C50 wheel, first discovered because of a brake pulsing. The shop tried to true the wheel but there was a little section of the aluminum that was slightly wider on both sides. We waiting a week for a Shimano tech to stop by and look at it. He said warranty won't cover it because 99% it's from an impact on the road. He said Do Not sand it down. I asked about squeezing it back together and he said that should work but there is no procedure for doing that. I put the aluminum part in a vise and squeezed it back the fraction of a millimeter back into shape. I did it slowly, took 2 or 3 squeezes and now the brake pulsing is barely noticeable. The Shimano rep/tech said that the Aluminum to Carbon bond is super strong, has seen plenty of destroyed wheels but that bond does not come apart easily and the wheel should be fine. That was about 2-3000 miles ago. He also said that the wheel is rated for 240 lbs but knows lots of heavier riders that use the C 24/35/50 wheels and they take a lot of abuse.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The damage happened a couple of days ago and I will head out tomorrow after this rainy Monday to see if the brakes pulse. Good comments all, thank you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts