Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm out on the MUT during a week of rain, getting lots of flats even with Conti Gatorskins. At one point, a small, sharp stone punctures the tire, and while changing out the tube I can feel some of the wire poking thru. Not good, i think, so i throw a tire patch over the very small puncture hole on the inside of the tire, covering any protruding wire that would be sure to puncture the tube. 2 days later, another flat. I pull the tube and note that it is leaking from a small area that is noticeably dried and cracked. Weird, I think, as I'm checking the inside of the tire for anything sharp. I note that the tire patch is still covering the hole previously described. 2 days later, last night, flat again. Pull the tube, and note the same type of small, dried, cracked area on the tube with a leak. I was able to match up the cracked area with the patch I had placed on the tire...

So, has anyone else had this problem? Why does a tube patch on the inside of the tire result in a cracked, dried-out area on my tube? What can I use, besides a dollar bill or some other "quick-fix" to cover the small hole in the tire? It's got few miles on it, don't want to throw it away.

·
Registered
114 Posts
NYCyclist said:
What can I use, besides a dollar bill or some other "quick-fix" to cover the small hole in the tire? It's got few miles on it, don't want to throw it away.
I don't know why the tube patch stuck to the inside of the tire is making "dried out" spots on your tube.

Here are two suggestions to use as a "boot" for your tire. Park makes tire boots (http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=17&item=TB-2). I use the self-adhesive flap from tyvek FedEx envelopes (I cut the flap from the envelope and throw the rest away). Cut a rectangle of the right size from the flap and stick it to the inside of the tire.

Some people like to use super glue to close up the hole in the tread to make it less likely for an object to pop your tube through the existing hole in the tire.

·
Registered
21,526 Posts
There's the rub

NYCyclist said:
Pull the tube, and note the same type of small, dried, cracked area on the tube with a leak. I was able to match up the cracked area with the patch I had placed on the tire..
I'm thinking that the patch is rubbing on the tube - each revolution of the tire results in casing deflection and that patch is deflected too. Plus, the patch is typically a softer and stickier rubber than the inside of the tire. I'm thinking that if you put some talcum powder on the inside of the tire, the problem would go away. That said, this is why something like Tyvek, as suggested by wsexson, makes a better boot.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've never used anything but old worn down road tires cut to fit inside my existing tire about 2 inches long. I keep a couple in my patch kit in case I get a hole in my tire that would allow the tube to poke out. that gets me home but I think it wise to get a new tire soon

·
Registered
15 Posts
New $50.00 tire, small cut accross tread

wsexson said:
I don't know why the tube patch stuck to the inside of the tire is making "dried out" spots on your tube.

Here are two suggestions to use as a "boot" for your tire. Park makes tire boots (http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=17&item=TB-2). I use the self-adhesive flap from tyvek FedEx envelopes (I cut the flap from the envelope and throw the rest away). Cut a rectangle of the right size from the flap and stick it to the inside of the tire.

Some people like to use super glue to close up the hole in the tread to make it less likely for an object to pop your tube through the existing hole in the tire.

Wsexon - the tyvex fix - is this a fairly permenent fix? I hate to throw away a higher end tire and was trying to figure out how to repair the tire. I run thin-skins (Kevlar inner shield) and have tried the Parker and they seem to stick very well, but I don't think I'd embark on a century with one. I tried some adhesive and a tire patch, but it did not stick. Any help from anyone is appreciated.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Carnoldwe2 said:
Wsexon - the tyvex fix - is this a fairly permenent fix?.
I wouldn't call it permanent. It depends on what size and shape the hole in the tire is. I have used the tyvek to boot a tire with a few small cuts for about 3-4 months. The boots kinda wore out after a couple of months and needed to be replaced with fresh ones. But I was able to keep using that tire for 30 mile round trip daily commutes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts