Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
I'm looking for some small/medium panniers for camping that can later be used as front panniers when I'm able to afford some larger rear bags. Mainly something that can handle 3 days out and won't break the budget.

I've looked at Axiom, Ortlieb, Jannd and even some of Performance Bike's House brand.

I love the Ortlieb Sport Packer Plus but they're really more than I would like to spend...although they're my #1 pick at the moment. I like the mounting system and the size and look of the panniers...they seem the most "functional" and user friendly.

I like the Axiom Monsoons a lot too. They don't seem as versitile as the Ortliebs, but they're half the price!

The Jannd and Performance ones have what seems to be a bad mounting system. I know it works (I have a single Performance pannier) but it's a real big pain in the butt to get on and off the bike! Maybe not that big of a deal though for the price?

Of course there are also the Arkel T-28s...I'm planning on getting Arkel T-42s when I get larger bags for the rear and the 28s would be a good complement to them...but I'm not sure that having matching bags really has any functional/price benefit :) Another big drawback is I don't think I can get them here in town...and I would really like to get a feel for size before buying them!

Anyways, are there any other small/medium sized panniers out there that I should be considering? Realistically I can spend about $200 on them...but I would REALLY prefer to keep it at $100 or less!

Thanks,
Jared

·
N. Hollywood, CA
754 Posts
Jandd used to eBay their "Economy" panniers and I got a couple pairs for about $40 per pair. Then I spent about $15 each on some upgraded top mounting hooks that Wayne sold me, kind of like these:

http://www.thetouringstore.com/ORTLIEB/Ort PANNIERS/SPP/Sport Packer Plus QL2 Upper 9.jpg

The Jandds have lasted about 5 years of commuting 2-3 days per week. Very clean, simple, classy look and just big enough to hold a full pad of 8.5x11 paper, some books, rain coat, u-lock etc. And the reflective stripes are fairly big too.

Performance's smallest panniers are darn cute and I'm tempted to buy them whenever they're on sale. But yeah, the mounting system is probably subpar. And the wife and I already have 2 pairs of Jandds as well as some huge Carradice Super-C's for grocery runs and campouts...

·
Professional Lurker
242 Posts
Look for older Cannondale or Madden Mountaineering panniers on e-bay.

Lone Peak also used to have a smaller pannier that was relatively inexpensive ($40 each?). Of course, the last time I saw a price was 4-5 years ago, so YMMV.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.