Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Who needs a map?
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the days that I commute to work I've been parking my bike in the empty cube next to me. Apparently that cube will be occupied in the near future and there aren't any others available. I'm happy to report that HR and others are actually trying to find a solution for bike parking - when I mentioned that several other people are commuting as well they suggested the possibility of getting a bike rack! Now on the one hand I like having my bike nearby and not having to take off the lights, computer, etc., but I'm glad they are trying to accommodate the cyclists. What's next? Showers and bike lanes? Haha, ok, but seriously, I'm happy they are doing this instead of some crazy no bikes policy.

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
I am lucky that I can keep my bike in my office. I wouldn't want the hassle of an outdoor rack with my HID headlight and nice commuter. We don't have showers right now but it is the PNW, I ride to work in the low 50's so disposable wipes work. They did put a rack outside on the pier, but no thanks. In the fall, winter, and fall (spring) I don't want my bike sitting out in the rain all day. Next month I will have a temp office on a barge but I will use my permanent office to store my bike. I have several storerooms that belong to me, but each one involves taking my bike up and down narrow stairwells that requires me to turn my bike at an angle to fit.

·
Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
Where I work we are lucky that the former CEO was really into sports and outdoor activities, so there are at least four buildings with showers in them (in addition to volleyball and basketball courts), and no one has a problem with me parking my bike in my cubicle (it’s one of those roughly 7' x 7' cubes. I wish that everyone was this aware of the gas price problem. Good thing for the showers, since I like to sprint those 17 or 18 miles to work (and back home another 17 or 18 miles) and it’s been hot and humid lately.

·
Who needs a map?
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Leopold Porkstacker said:
Where I work we are lucky that the former CEO was really into sports and outdoor activities, so there are at least four buildings with showers in them (in addition to volleyball and basketball courts), and no one has a problem with me parking my bike in my cubicle (it’s one of those roughly 7' x 7' cubes. I wish that everyone was this aware of the gas price problem. Good thing for the showers, since I like to sprint those 17 or 18 miles to work (and back home another 17 or 18 miles) and it’s been hot and humid lately.
I can just barely fit the bike in the cube and maybe one other person can fit as well. Maybe I'll start doing that until they complain that I have to use the bike rack instead (assuming it is installed).

·
Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
NSJ, see if maybe they can get you access to an empty office or cube somewhere in the building that all the bike commuters can use. Or maybe an area behind the front security desk, where people would have to pull their bikes out past the security guard or something like that. That way, there's no cash outlay, and you can safely park your bike with all your lights and stuff on it. If you end up getting a rack, have them put it in a parking garage or other sheltered area.

·
...?
1,481 Posts
My bike gets locked up inside the parking garage, and the bike racks are monitored by security cameras. Theres also usually a security guard patrolling the garage. most days theres about 30-40 bikes between customers and other employees. Whole foods rocks

·
Registered
183 Posts
my lbs informed me that a lot of their customers who parked in the parking structure had the bike ripped off by the security or maintenance people. With light traffic during the day they can take their time and disable your lock and or cable. I have a cube that I probably could squeeze the bike into. but I may leave my Matrix in the underground parking and ulock and cable the bike into the rear compartment. I have blacked out windows so it's out of sight and out of mind. I would drive with the bike, leave the car ride home for the next few days, then drive home.

I like the bike lockers. but I recently had a severe cycling injury. HR would be reluctant to promote me back to cycling, and I am sure they wouldn't spring for those. so I when I am back 100 I will sneek the bike into the building. heh! I'll be down for a while folks next season maybe.

·
Seat's not level
19,392 Posts
My office put bike racks under the stairwell inside the building. We can fit about 10 bikes in there without a problem. All the commuters just leave a lock on the rack so they don't have to carry one back and forth. Works well and it's nice to have the bikes inside.

If you office has room under some stairs that isn't being used, it might be worth checking out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.