Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, first time poster... long time lurker!

Just wondering who out there prefers to ride a smaller frame than usually and how much smaller have you gone? I am thinking about building up a 49cm track frame and I am around 5ft 5in to 5ft 7in... am I crazy to be building up such a small frame?

What are the pros and cons of your riding experiences if you prefer a smaller frame?

ta,

Gappy

· Premium Member
20,696 Posts
You could probably make a 49cm work but here are a few things to consider

1. Smaller frames usually have shorter head tubes so you'll need a bunch of spacers to get a comfortable riding position unless you like a huge saddle/bar drop
2. Make sure the top tube is long enough to prevent your knees from hitting the bars. You might need a longer than normal stem to compensate

· Registered
1,006 Posts
Years ago I was told that you should buy a one size smaller (2 cm) track frame than your road frame size. I can't for the life of me remember the rationale behind this advice, but it came from a knowledgeable source. That said, my current fixie is the same size as my former road bike, and it seems to feel and fit just fine.

· i like whiskey
8,493 Posts
The 2cm smaller frame is because of the higher BB clearance you need to ride on a banked track. It keeps you from striking your "uphill" pedal in the curves.

OP - Just curious what is the rationale for you wanting to build up a smaller frame. Weight savings, asthetics, stiffness...? I say ride a frame that fits you and you won't have to compensate in other areas of the bike.

· Out of work goaltender
147 Posts
my normal bike is a 60cm, and reading that little subtract rule, i got a 57 cm track bike. this does feel a little too small, hard to say if it's the geometry or what, but i'm really leaned over in the drops (this could be lessened by flipping the stem, but then it looks goofy). It's not really something i'd want for a ride over 2 hours, but it's great for 30-40 miles. This is also probably mostly due to the track geometry, but I can turn on a friggin dime on it compared to my road bike.

· C 1/5
613 Posts
my first track bike was one size smaller than my regular road bike (53 track versus a 55 road bike). I road it for about 6 months and finally sold it - just didn't feel right. I bought a 55 in the same model and its feels much better. I would recommend getting the size that fits you.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chase15.5 said:
my first track bike was one size smaller than my regular road bike (53 track versus a 55 road bike). I road it for about 6 months and finally sold it - just didn't feel right. I bought a 55 in the same model and its feels much better. I would recommend getting the size that fits you.
oops too late started the build... maybe i'll be back in six months trying to flog it... but am pretty excited and have sent a set of personalised decals I designed off to the printers. Once built will post and give my thumbs up or down on the ride!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.