Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard a lot of whining today (for both sides) on Eurosport about that 22 yr old rider who wants off the team, out of his contract... I can understand who wouldn't want to ride
for 35k euros when he could get 150k euros from a pro tour team.. but I also understand he was the guy who signed the 3 yr deal to stick around when no one else would want him.. now he has made a name for himself in the Giro last year (3rd?)..

Maybe they Pro Tour teams should start paying off the little teams for taking riders.
Or maybe start a minor league of sorts.. Kind of like baseball, or with football (pro/college).

Is there another solution for the smaller teams to quit getting cherry picked?
 

·
Cannot bench own weight
Joined
·
4,298 Posts
bas said:
I heard a lot of whining today (for both sides) on Eurosport about that 22 yr old rider who wants off the team, out of his contract... I can understand who wouldn't want to ride
for 35k euros when he could get 150k euros from a pro tour team.. but I also understand he was the guy who signed the 3 yr deal to stick around when no one else would want him.. now he has made a name for himself in the Giro last year (3rd?)..

Maybe they Pro Tour teams should start paying off the little teams for taking riders.
Or maybe start a minor league of sorts.. Kind of like baseball, or with football (pro/college).

Is there another solution for the smaller teams to quit getting cherry picked?
You talking about Rujano? At anyrate I think their is no "fair" way to prevent riders from moving to protour teams, unless you have a "farm" system like Major League Baseball does. The small teams would then have to be tied to a protour team. Maybe things work like that already, I don't know.

It could also work the other way...you don't perform to protour levels, go back to the "farm" team and earn your way back up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,561 Posts
Einstruzende said:
It could also work the other way...you don't perform to protour levels, go back to the "farm" team and earn your way back up.
Actually if they really wanted to make the ProTour mean something they should come with some system to drop the bottom teams out of it to the Continental Tour and promote the top Continental teams to the ProTour (like they do in the Soccor leagues in Europe).
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,843 Posts
Einstruzende said:
You talking about Rujano? At anyrate I think their is no "fair" way to prevent riders from moving to protour teams, unless you have a "farm" system like Major League Baseball does. The small teams would then have to be tied to a protour team. Maybe things work like that already, I don't know.

It could also work the other way...you don't perform to protour levels, go back to the "farm" team and earn your way back up.
Uhh, What's the problem? You guys keep talking about a major and minor league, well Div1.2.3, and pro tour provide that. Div. 3 teams are essentially farm teams for div. 2 and so on.

So he signed on to a 3 year contract to a team, and then he got good and now wants to leave, well ok, so what if it was the other way around, what if they signed him and he amounted to nothing, or he got hurt, could they just say, "well we don't want you any more, so well see ya"? No they couldn't. A contract is a contract, by signing it he promised them legally that he would ride for them for 3 years, not until he got a better offer, not until he got hurt and they didn't want him anymore, but for 3 years.

He was allowed a opportunity to prove himself, with out the contract that's now the bane of his existence, he wouldn't be able to make 150k a year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
FTF said:
Uhh, What's the problem? You guys keep talking about a major and minor league, well Div1.2.3, and pro tour provide that. Div. 3 teams are essentially farm teams for div. 2 and so on.

So he signed on to a 3 year contract to a team, and then he got good and now wants to leave, well ok, so what if it was the other way around, what if they signed him and he amounted to nothing, or he got hurt, could they just say, "well we don't want you any more, so well see ya"? No they couldn't. A contract is a contract, by signing it he promised them legally that he would ride for them for 3 years, not until he got a better offer, not until he got hurt and they didn't want him anymore, but for 3 years.

He was allowed a opportunity to prove himself, with out the contract that's now the bane of his existence, he wouldn't be able to make 150k a year.
Actually - what teams do to guys they don't want... is just drive them to a point where they retire from the sport. Teams can really do the "well we don't want you anymore and we'll make sure you understand..."
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,843 Posts
TitaniumFemur said:
Actually - what teams do to guys they don't want... is just drive them to a point where they retire from the sport. Teams can really do the "well we don't want you anymore and we'll make sure you understand..."
Yes, but he's playing a similar game by making sure that everyone out there knows he's unhappy. He's using the press to attempt to get people on his side to pressure his team to release him from his contract. "Release me or I'll "slander" you". Just as the team in your scenario is trying to leverage the rider to want to get out of their contract, "Leave or we'll make your life hell". There are always other ways of trying to get what you want, but that dosen't mean it's right.

Really, this is pretty much the least injustice that happens in cycling, this guy getting stuck with his contract.
 

·
wheel to wheel
Joined
·
2,236 Posts
I would assume (but I don't know) that QS paid Selle Italia a "transfer fee", like in soccer, where players change teams all the time.

This time, though, considering the latest bizarre events and Rujano's lack of professionalism, QS may be wondering if they made the right move.

After the other day (Rujano abandon) and today's stage, I bet Bettini feels pretty good about his seat at the negotiating table.
 
G

·
As always, there are ways to get out of a contract and ways to push someone out (it can be as simple as "terminate at will"). If QS, or another entity, wants him badly enough, they will make a deal with Selle and "buy out" his contract. The various PR statements made by the parties involved are used to gain the best leverage, Selle Italia want to get the most is can out of the deal, QS want to pay as little as possible. So they negociate, leak info, get the rider to clearly state his dismay, blah, blah, blah - until the deal is done.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top