Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We watch a lot of House Hunters and House Hunters International, and I find the differing tastes quite fascinating. One family doesn't want to be able to see another house, the next won't be happy unless there is a parade running under their window. Some want accessibility-not needing a car for most activities. Others want to just go after what they need. Work is sometimes a priority, other times it is play.

There are definitely advantages to be seen in just about everyone's plan. I live out in a very small town. I never thought about how small it was until I started to see these types of shows. I can't walk/ride to much of anything. We drive hours every weekend just going to the places we like. Quite often I wish we lived somewhere more near action, but other times I am glad my son can forget to close a car door all night and nothing happens.

If I was single, I would love to try in town loft type living. I guess I would hate to be in a packed subdivision in a city. If I was in a city, I would want to live "in the city." That doesn't seem to work well with 3 kids, so out for me.

So, I know a lot of you would rather die than live where I do. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Smallest=a rowhouse in DC.

Largest=a rural rancher in central Florida.

Funny how things work out.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
I want to move to a small town. As in under 10000 small. Well under 10000.

As for house.... a 2500sq foot single family house on an acre or so is plenty.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I currently live in a sub 5000person town. I'd like to go a bit smaller.

As for a house, I live in an 1100sqft 60's era ranch on 0.25 acres of corner lot goodness and feel as though I'm being squeezed. Never realized it growing up (same house) but maybe I'm starting to want to stretch out a little.

Next house will be modestly large (2500sqft-ish) on no less than 2 acres.

·
2 busy workin' 2 hang out
12,638 Posts
I've lived in towns ranging from 364 to 2,851,268. I could make either work.

However, I am going to choose a town from 35,000 to 120,000.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Funny, I was thinking population, but the house size is an interesting question. Of course, the larger the population, the smaller the houses seem to be. I have seen apartments I could fit 3 of in my small house go for a million + on some shows.

My town is less than $2500, but we do have a prison that makes up 500 or so of that. My house is less than 1200 sq ft. Cost us right under $100K. 3 bedroom house with 3 kids is tight. We do wish we could sell and move over one town, but houses aren't selling here at all.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
I love small visiting small towns but don't know if that translates into living in one. We don't have to have a big house, we're at 1400 sq feet on a 1/3 acre lot. We plan on moving out of Austin in about 5 years. We want a place to keep rescued dogs with a stock pond etc.

We have had such a great experience with our little rescue and fostering that we feel compelled to have some property to do it.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
I grew up on 70ish acres in a 4500 square foot house with a local population of 1500....I now live in a crappy apartment inside city limits of a 50,000+ populated city. I hate it.

As soon as I ensure my job will last past the new governor, I'm buying house on 10+ acres.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
We lived in a small 800 sqft loft near the downtown of a big city, then we moved to the Hawaiian islands and lived in a small town for a while. Now we're back on the mainland and living in the burbs.

What we've learned is that we're city people. We hate driving to get things done. In the city, we walked everywhere and accomplished much more in a day than we can living and driving in the burbs.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
i live in the chicago suburbs. i think my town has 60k people. i can be within chicago city limits in about 15 mins by car. i can ride my bike to various forest preserves near me in a matter of minutes. i would hate to live in a small town and wish i was closer to the city, but still could be near the forest preserves. i pretty much can't get any closer, so i guess i'll deal with it. being able to ride my mountain bike or my road bike right out my door isn't such a bad thing. i don't like i feel the need to drive whenever i need to go to the store.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
I got a 2500 square foot house, a 15.5 acre wooded lot, 7 miles from a town of 1000.....just about right

·
banned from the museum
6,622 Posts
I live in a town of 350,000, in a 2200 square foot house. The town is too big for me. It is too small for my wife. The house is the upper limit of what I will tolerate, size-wise, and the lower limit for my wife. So I guess we've got it about right.

·
Honey Smack!
7,966 Posts
I've been from 3k people to a little over 2million. I really didn't enjoy the "large city" feel. I currently live in a loft style apartment complex in Downtown Little Rock and absolutely love it. It's an amazing city. Hopefully I'll know where I'm going to "permanetly" be assigned with my job in about two years and will be able to find a place.

I'd ideally like to be somewhere between 10k-50k, within 30-40 minutes of a city.

House size, I'm just now really getting into that world but would love something around 2k with a 2-5 acres.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
dontbetoomuchofa said:
A 2 person tent in the middle of no where.
Most days, that's my choice - just back from a couple of days of that.

I guess I could make anything work, really, if I needed to. I never saw a correlation between cities and towns I've liked and not liked based on the size of them.

·
Master debator.
8,761 Posts
As long as it's quiet, I can step outside to pee, and the barking dogs don't bother the neighbors, I'm good. We live just outside a town of about 1,200, and the nearest neighbor is about 1/4 mile away.
I would require high speed internet wherever I live though...

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
I'm adaptable. I've lived in cities of 500k, but am moving to NYC soon. I've done 3,000 sq ft and 300 sq feet. Everywhere has had its own charms and annoyances.

·
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
5,351 Posts
KenB said:
I want to move to a small town. As in under 10000 small. Well under 10000.

As for house.... a 2500sq foot single family house on an acre or so is plenty.
I lived in a town like that for half of fifth grade. As a kid, it was pretty cool. As an adult, I'd pass.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts