Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone suggest a good helmet with a very small footprint or in this case head print I don't like wearing things on my head. The helmet I have know rubs up against my backpack and drives me crazy. If the old skid lids provided any protection I would wear one.

Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Just...

mhemberg said:
Can anyone suggest a good helmet with a very small footprint or in this case head print I don't like wearing things on my head. The helmet I have know rubs up against my backpack and drives me crazy. If the old skid lids provided any protection I would wear one.

Thanks
Matt
Matt,

Just don't wear one. Problem solved.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,208 Posts
mhemberg said:
The helmet I have know rubs up against my backpack and drives me crazy.
Why not just adjust your backpack to ride lower on your back? Lengthen the shoulder straps.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Thats hideous!!

bauerb said:
the smallest, lightest "real" helmets are going to cost you plenty:

http://www.cbike.com/las_helmets.htm
WTF is that silver scoop thing??

I used to detest helmets - often opted to not wear one. Then I started racing (no helmet = no race) now I dont even notice them. Giro Eclipse was great and cheap too (Pneumo did not fit) Atmos looks very cool - as in breezy.

My advise, Throw one on, ride and forget about it. Yes fix backpack straps, or how about skate board style helmet?? they have no rear overhand like most road/mtb lids

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Improper position...

dr hoo said:
Why not just adjust your backpack to ride lower on your back? Lengthen the shoulder straps.
Improperly positioning even a light backpack could cause back pain. High on the back, not low on the back, is the place to be.

But like others have said, messenger bag, the helmet thing then isn't an issue.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
mhemberg said:

Thanks
Matt
I'm not necessarily saying this is the case, but wanted to ask: Are you wearing your helmet correctly? I see way too many people (though more women than men) wearing them way back on their heads. You need to have it more or less level, so it'll protect your forehead (and in my experience, much of your face) in the case of an endo.

I can see how, even when the helmet is worn properly, some backpacks could interfere, but I'm just throwing this out there.

·
imbasilical moreon
1,873 Posts
skid lids work great, look.....

mhemberg said:

Thanks
Matt

·
gazing from the shadows
27,208 Posts
magnolialover said:
Improperly positioning even a light backpack could cause back pain. High on the back, not low on the back, is the place to be.
As high as possible, but a bit lower won't hurt if the helmet is hitting the thing. It is best stablized by a waist strap anyway, which carries most of the weight when cinched down. Loose arms straps, tight waist strap is the way to go.

Messenger bag and panniers for me, I personally don't like the backpack on the bike..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts