Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
There are enough distracted motorists using cell phones as it is. We don't need distracted cyclists compounding the problem.

·
Schuylkill Trail Bum
5,142 Posts
It's the latest craze. Everything and everybody has to be connected with one another at all times! No exceptions!

How could you not know that?

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Old hat, see the 1978 patent drawing for a radio/tape player attached to a helmut. The person riding next to you can tune the radio and insert / retrieve tapes.

If you're looking for something to do that'll last you a lifetime, root through US patents for all the bizarre inventions concerning bicycles and their riders. Start with patents issued around 1860.

Attachments

·
Schuylkill Trail Bum
5,142 Posts
Old hat, see the 1978 patent drawing for a radio/tape player attached to a helmut.

If you're looking for something to do that'll last you a lifetime, root through US patents for all the bizarre inventions concerning bicycles and their riders. Start with patents issued around 1860.
I might have to go and do that.

I've been working on a SquirrelCatcher attachment for bikes, based quite extensively on the Olde Timey cowcatchers on locomotives.

This will change everything. Entire cities will be built around my squirrelcatcher.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
Is that supposed to a dig?
You really need to drop this notion that everyone is trying to passive-aggressively poke at you. There is the Ignore List option, or you can simply not respond to people.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I like the idea of the headphones as they would allow the nav features on the 820 I can't really hear the tones. Maybe even assign other notices if important enough. Then the added possibility of comm's on rides would be nice as well.

I ditched the headphones yeas ago as I really like the sound of wheels and chains plus it's just safer. This seems to have some potential.

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
don't need a HUD, comms, thermal imaging, radar, sonar, or other distracting gizmos to just ride my bike.

·
Schuylkill Trail Bum
5,142 Posts
Sheesh
Spike said: "Everything and everybody has to be connected with one another at all times! No exceptions!"
I asked if I can wear it on the trainer.
If you're asking can pittcanna wear it on the trainer?, I'd say he should get off the trainer and get outside, then worry about being part of the internet of things and whatnot.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I always welcome new features and technology. It adds more options to how we can do things. However, as with any new abilities comes pitfalls. I can see this may cause additional distraction to a rider where as a cyclist, it's imperative that we are attentive. Although with this device, it also provides some great features like crash notification and navigation which can increase our safety.

At the end of it, it all depends on if cyclist use it responsibly which implies that people need to be logical and have common sense... This unfortunately doesn't always apply. When I see drivers talking on their phone, texting, putting on makeup etc... this just leads me to concluded that additional features or technology should not be available to some people.

Also, for me, I'm a bit of a worry wart. If I fall or hit my head... I almost always get a new helmet. Even if the helmet is in tact, I've found that it it cracks very easily with hairline fractures through the foam so I almost never take a chance. With a smart helmet, the cost of replacement will be even higher unless the device can be transferred.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
That's cool as hell. I didn't really need a new helmet -- haven't fallen hard enough lately -- but if I can listen to music without drowning out traffic then that's a win. I have a phone caddy on one of my bikes and the only time I've taken a call the caller said I didn't need a distraction and asked me to call them back.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
a great soution for cyclists (like couriers and commuters) that need to safely monitor their phone.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I am all for this type of product as I for one would love to just go order this but I don't need a 4th helmet. Though I would love to see someone do a cost effective helmet like this with a really good LED red flasher in the back.

But again the thing that drive me nutzo with cycling is now I have to organize my day to be sure all of the dam electronic devices are all charged up and ready to roll. Gone are the old days of just grabbing the bike and going for ride. hmmm or are they...

And Pit... we all love you man!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts