Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After holding out for many years I decided to get a phone. Previously I would just borrow my wife's. I was not prepared for what I received. I just wanted a basic phone. For $100 I had a new toy. The phone came with no manual, just a pamphlet. I had problems at every step. I tried to put the SIM card in. It was much too large. I called the phone company. They told me that I had to break parts of it off. How was I supposed to know that? After about a week, things became clearer. Then it happened. I got an error message. It said that the SIM card was not compatible with the phone, and I should contact my phone company for a new card. At first they wanted to charge me for the new card. They finally relented, and sent me another card for free. Even with the new card, the error message still came up. After spending hours on the phone, they sent me a new phone. Guess what? Error message still there. I called again. They said that it was too late to send the phone back for a refund. They agreed to knock $50 off of it, and that I should keep the phone. I agreed to this. A few days later I called them again for some assistance. This time the tech person said that they would bend the rules and give me a total refund.
Now I am thinking of buying a cheap flip phone from Amazon.
This is my question. I have either a nano or micro SIM card. I do not know which it is. Is there an adapter so that I can use it in a phone that requires a standard size SIM card?

Thanks for listening to my rants.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I get that you're frustrated, and wanted to vent, but you could have saved a lot of typing, by just going to Google, and searching, "SIM card types" and "SIM card adapters". There are numerous SIM adapter kits available, along with comparison photos to help determine differences between types. I suggest hitting Amazon for an adapter kit.

·
Registered
706 Posts
FWIW, if your SIM card is too big, you can take it to a local phone store and they have a little tool that will cut the card to a nano-SIM size. There are all sorts of online tutorials on how to do this yourself, but if you screw-up, the card with won't fit or won't work.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Are you anywhere near a Verizon store or some other place that employs teenage kids who can fix these things in their sleep?

Hang in there. I was a hold out too but have come to love the convenience of my smart phone - I'm also glad that my work provides it and all the IT help I've ever needed.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Just get an iPhone. What's so hard. Turn it on and wham, a whole world of wireless computing in your palm. Hard to imagine being without them. GPS, texting, social media, my email, and best of all, the answers to nearly everything in your pocket. And the learning curve is so anazingly short, heck they spent millions and million to make the human interface as simple and user friendly as possible. Nice to take along on bike rides too!

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
Yeah, iPhones rule. People ought to consider prepaid phones, too, aka "a burner." I bought one to use for my job search to avoid continuing contact from recruiters and companies. Incredible quality LG for $50 at Bestbuy plus $40 unlimited talk, text, data per month. (Cheaper plans and phones available, of course.) My LG is roughly the size of an iPhone7 with about the same screen quality. But I won't grouse if it gets munched.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Yeah, iPhones rule. People ought to consider prepaid phones, too, aka "a burner." I bought one to use for my job search to avoid continuing contact from recruiters and companies. Incredible quality LG for $50 at Bestbuy plus $40 unlimited talk, text, data per month. (Cheaper plans and phones available, of course.) My LG is roughly the size of an iPhone7 with about the same screen quality. But I won't grouse if it gets munched.
No kidding? I love that idea. Thanks for the tip. Good example for an application too, and great for crimes I'm guessing!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ordered a simple flip phone from Amazon. I already received a shipping label for the defective smart phone. I don't need or want to be on the web 24/7. Also, I like a light phone that can be carried in my pocket. And if I lose or break the phone, I will just buy another cheap one. No need for insurance.

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
No kidding? I love that idea. Thanks for the tip. Good example for an application too, and great for crimes I'm guessing!
Great for crimes if you believe TV shows. Signing up for it required me to provide a substantial amount of personal information - like driver's license and other backup contact info. The key was to avoid getting tied-down to a contract. I've got nothing to hide from anybody, although maybe now I can call some long lost girlfriends. lol

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Great for crimes if you believe TV shows. Signing up for it required me to provide a substantial amount of personal information - like driver's license and other backup contact info. The key was to avoid getting tied-down to a contract. I've got nothing to hide from anybody, although maybe now I can call some long lost girlfriends. lol
OK, this really dashed my excitement. Next you will tell me that there aren't machines you can put any random object into and they tell you it's exact chemical composition, instantly.... And who the only person is, out of the 6.5 billion on earth, who bought that object and they happen to be only a speedy drive away. Ouch man.

Find a teenager, give them $10 and have them walk you through it.
I just can't seem to rep anyone anymore!! :)

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
I don't need or want to be on the web 24/7.
This is the same logic my mom and her husband use. It turns out that YOU control the phone!

I don't need to be on the web 24/7 either but those 5 minutes each morning (while still laying in bed) to check the ski area snow reports before deciding whether to take a "sick day" is pretty nice.

Or if I'm wondering where to go for dinner while in a new town...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts