Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advice with purchasing a smart trainer. I am deciding between the Tacx Vortex and the Wahoo Kickr Snap. Leaning toward the Wahoo, because their appears to be less issues with the Kickr, but I like the price of the Vortex. Also, wondering about warranty concerns with both trainers. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
760 Posts
FWIW, a riding buddy has the Tacx Flow, and iGenius. When shopping for trainers, he stated that the lower end Tacx trainers seemed "flimsy", his current Flow included. iGenius seems more sturdy.

If it helps, the Kickr Snap is on currently on sale at Performance for $599. They carry both models, and allow you to return items up to one year after purchase...if you retain all the items/documentation.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just bought the Wahoo Kickr Snap. It is very robust and I find it more stable than the Kurt Kinetic which it replaced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I have been reading about calibration issues with the Kickr snap - is that still a concern?

·
Registered
17 Posts
A simple 20 second spin down calibrates the unit to the wheel. I run my unit with Zwift and Sufferfest while in Erg mode. The unit is very quiet and simulates the road quite well

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I don't own either of those specific units, but I do own a Gen 1 Kickr. I also own a Wahoo Elemnt, and their sensors and HRM.

Just based on the quality of the customer service I've had and the frequency of updates and new feature additions, I would not hesitate to buy any Wahoo product.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
Bought a Tacx Genius last winter and it was DOA. If you look on the Tacx forums you'll read about a lot of problems. I think there has to be a fundamental flaw in their drive unit design. I returned it and got a Kickr Snap on sale from REI and have been very happy. I don't log a lot of indoor miles but it is sturdy. It sometimes takes a while for Zwift to recognize it (who knows maybe that's an issue with my computer) but once I'm in it's reliable. Calibration isn't a big issue. I usually warm up, calibrate, then start Zwifting.

forum.tacx.com ? View forum - Tacx Bushido/Vortex/Genius/Neo

·
Registered
363 Posts
If the price is close definitely get the kickr. I bought the vortex last year because it was about 400 dollars cheaper to get it from a German site (bike24) than the kickr. If they had been within 1-200 dollars in price I would have purchased the kickr instead.

That being said I haven't had any issues with the vortex and I use it quite a bit with trainer road.

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
I have several years on a version of this one. https://cycleops.com/product/phantom-5-indoor-cycle The virtual training is awesome and the unit is indestructible. The equipment advantage is that you don't trash your high end road bike while climbing out of the saddle during indoor training.

The virtual training is the best and the combination allows you to ride your favorite real world rides and plus famous rides all over the world. I've found that if I can climb them on the cycleops virtual training, I can climb them in the real world.
Looking for some advice with purchasing a smart trainer. I am deciding between the Tacx Vortex and the Wahoo Kickr Snap. Leaning toward the Wahoo, because their appears to be less issues with the Kickr, but I like the price of the Vortex. Also, wondering about warranty concerns with both trainers. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just ordered the Kickr snap. Got 15% off, so decided to take the plunge. Also considered the Cycleops Magnus, but the Wahoo was rated slightly better based on online reviews. At this price point, they all seem to have issues. Concerned mostly about accuracy, hopefully I won't regret my decision.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got the vortex a little over a month ago and have out about 20 hrs on it. Works great with zwift. No complaints here!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts