Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, here is what I have:

Spare bike for trainer
Minoura Dumb Trainer (which I do like...quieter and nicer than my CycleOps Fluid II)
Macbook Pro (or iPad if preferable)
Garmin 510 + new but older model cadence sensor (with the arm)
TV that I can hook my Mac to via HDMI

So could I add an ANT+ USB stick and somehow get on Zwift. Zwift may not be able to control my trainer, right? So that wold be a problem but I could still see and ride courses, I guess.

Please educate me a bit before I have truly no choice but to buy a smart trainer. I'll likely just get a TACX Vortex from Germany to keep it cheap, if I go this route...unless some US store has a 20% off coupon.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Get the Elite from Performance Bike when they have a 20% of sale...will take additional discount off already on sale items. That Quobo should end up being about $370... and you have up to a year to return it for whatever reason, as long as you retain all manuals/parts.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, it looks like I need an iPhone mount of some sort, a USB extension cable, and an ANT+ thingy that was used. I'm wondering what ANT+ stick to get. I guess any should work but will research that. My Minoura V270 is supported by Zwift so I may be good to go. I think I will try this before getting a smart trainer. If there are any tips or recommendations on the ANT+stick, please share. Thanks a lot. The YouTube videos helped. I'll recruit my 2001 Roubaix to be the trainer bike since it sees no riding anyway.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
You can use any ANT+ dongle stick thing. I bought a little one off of ebay for $15 and it works fine.

You don't need to use your phone at all, all you need is the computer and access to the keyboard. The phone is in case you don't want to touch the keyboard or if you don't have a computer.

You also don't need the extension cable, it's just recommended to eliminate that as a problem. Put the dongle right next to the trainer and it won't ever drop signal.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I have a power meter, rollers, an ANT dongle, and a computer.

That gets me zwifinng with the best and worst of them.

Gears still work well at controlling resistance.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Hey guys, here is what I have:

Spare bike for trainer
Minoura Dumb Trainer (which I do like...quieter and nicer than my CycleOps Fluid II)
Macbook Pro (or iPad if preferable)
Garmin 510 + new but older model cadence sensor (with the arm)
TV that I can hook my Mac to via HDMI

So could I add an ANT+ USB stick and somehow get on Zwift. Zwift may not be able to control my trainer, right? So that wold be a problem but I could still see and ride courses, I guess.

Please educate me a bit before I have truly no choice but to buy a smart trainer. I'll likely just get a TACX Vortex from Germany to keep it cheap, if I go this route...unless some US store has a 20% off coupon.
You don't say which Minoura trainer you have but if its a trainer that Zwift can estimate power on you are good. Check the Zwift site. Any old ANT+ USB thing should work. You can get one on ebay on the cheap. Zwift won't be controlling your trainer but it will use your estimated watts to control your speed based on your weight and the grade.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts