Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently joined the rest of the civilized world and got my first smartphone. And yesterday I successfully recorded my first ride on Strava & RideWithGPS. Now I'm thinking about mounting the phone on the handlebars rather than carrying in my back pocket. Is that even a good idea? If so, what holders do people use and/or recommend? Thanks.

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
Thanks, Opus! After researching a few, this one looks the best to me. Cool design that allows the user to swap among mounts. Also, I like the way they sell bundled packages at a discount. Plus, they gave me 10% for signing up with an e-mail. (Gave them one of my unused e-mail accts.) Thanks again.

I'm a fan of QuadLock. Easy on/off and rock solid.

https://www.quadlockcase.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Excellent. Yeah, I have three on my bikes and I dig just being able to click and go from one to another. Next for me will be the dashboard mount for the car.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
This survived an endo that damaged both the bike and yours truly. Five stars, two thumbs up, A++ would buy again.

https://www.amazon.com/Delta-HL6002-Smartphone-Caddy-black/dp/B007WEQIX0/ref=cm_rdp_product

In answer to your other question, I don't recommend carrying a phone or anything else hard in your jersey pocket. The caddy works very well and give the added benefit of navigation, which is why I bought it. The only concern might be exposing the phone to rain, though this particular one comes with a sleeve.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Topeak has the best solutions for this by far. I am using the weatherproof case for my iphone 6. wokrs great and I live in rainforest. the case protects it from impacts, as I use it on the mtn bike also, and it regularly gets coated with mud. a mount for each bike is about ten bucks, or you can choose fancier fwd-mount, top cap mount, strap mount, flip-up-videomaker mount etc.. Topeak makes quality stuff all round, have not seen any alternative that comes close. I use the phone as my bike computer

https://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Weath...&qid=1483385250&sr=1-11&keywords=topeak+mount

https://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Compu...&qid=1483385250&sr=1-23&keywords=topeak+mount

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am using this one.. this is a copy of topeak.. I am satisfied.. you can take a picture and videos while riding.. you may mount it onto stem or to handlebar as well.. I recommend..

Gaciron 2 IN1 Bisiklet Bisiklet Telefon Tutucusu Yol Bisikleti Rotasyon Cep Telefonu Tutucu Dağı Binmek
http://s.aliexpress.com/MRjQbYRf
(from AliExpress Android)

SM-G930F cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

·
Registered
1,789 Posts

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Quadlock and don't look back. Especially if you use an iphone. These things just work, and are rock solid. Super easy to use, and they have both car dash and handlebar mounts so you don't have to swap cases when you aren't riding.

And when i say they are rock solid, I speak from experience. I had an iPhone mounted on my handlebars with one when I was hit by a car a year and a half ago. The bike was crushed and the bar and shifters mangled, but the phone was still on the bars.E

Edit to add: Even if you don't have an iPhone, or one of the supported android phones, the generic case adapter works great. I'm currently using on on my Google Pixel. Just get a lightweight generic case with a smooth surface on the back to stick it to and you'll be golden.

·
Registered
2 Posts

This is what I use. I like having my phone securely mounted on the bike to be able to easily view the GPS map and fitness app.

AmyF
Sent from my Note 5

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quadlock and don't look back. Especially if you use an iphone. These things just work, and are rock solid. Super easy to use, and they have both car dash and handlebar mounts so you don't have to swap cases when you aren't riding.

And when i say they are rock solid, I speak from experience. I had an iPhone mounted on my handlebars with one when I was hit by a car a year and a half ago. The bike was crushed and the bar and shifters mangled, but the phone was still on the bars.E

Edit to add: Even if you don't have an iPhone, or one of the supported android phones, the generic case adapter works great. I'm currently using on on my Google Pixel. Just get a lightweight generic case with a smooth surface on the back to stick it to and you'll be golden.
You were hit by a car?? We're you injured badly? My rep at work is an avid road cyclist and once he was nearly hit by a car when it pulled out in front of him. He had to jam his breaks, then went sailing over his handlebars over the car and got banged up pretty good. Luckily he had his helmet on.

AmyF
Sent from my Note 5

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
You were hit by a car?? We're you injured badly? My rep at work is an avid road cyclist and once he was nearly hit by a car when it pulled out in front of him. He had to jam his breaks, then went sailing over his handlebars over the car and got banged up pretty good. Luckily he had his helmet on.

AmyF
Sent from my Note 5
Sadly, yes. I posted about somewhere on this forum. I do not recommend it.

I did not have any spinal injuries or TBI, but I had five fractures in my right shoulder, including the corticoid, glenoid, collar bone and the second rib ( which pierced my lung). I also had some damage to my left knee.

The impact was very low speed compared to some, but she hit me broadside and punted me about 20 feet out into the street ( I was on a parallel bike trail).

Anyway, back on topic, the phone was still on the handlebar when I asked the paramedic to retrieve it so I could call family. He was impressed that it was still attached. It fared much better than arm/shoulder did.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I used mine for a while for Strava but just turned off live view and carried it in my pocket. It worked pretty good that way and used 8% of the battery for a 2 hour ride. Turned out the Garmin works better in the trees or cloud cover so I am using that again and the phone in the pocket just in case I need to use the phone.

I am using Strava on my phone for my Wednesday hikes at Pinnacles National Park however. My problem with that is I forget to turn it on and then turn it off. The good news on the latter is you can crop the data on your PC later if you start driving home with Strava still on. When I cycle I like auto pause turned on but with hiking auto pause has to be off. Using the two gadgets separately means I do not have to access a bunch of menu's to do that with each activity.

Anyway the phone on the handle bars is fine just keep in mind the battery usage.

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
My Quadlock arrived in two days. Super easy to install on my stem, although one could just as easily attach to the bars. Incredibly secure installation with zero flex. Ingenious design to clip in and out of the holder, sort've like a Speedplay cleat snaps into a pedal.

The iPhone 5 case is very low profile and sturdy - perfect for the way I carry mine in my pants pocket. 90% of my riding done on my Merlin, although they make the install so simple one can transfer over in about sixty seconds. My plan, too, is to get the car mount dealy at some point. Extremely happy with my purchase...thanks Opus.

Excellent. Yeah, I have three on my bikes and I dig just being able to click and go from one to another. Next for me will be the dashboard mount for the car.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts