Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i switched from running to cycling as my main form of exercise a few years ago, i kept using smartwool socks. i have noticed that they are wearing out in all pairs i have (about 11) at the ball of the foot--some are well less than a year old. i don't think my shoes are big or feel like my foot moves excessively
anyone else find this typical of their socks or is it:
1) just smartwool
2) because i use speedplay--smaller pedal area concentrated there
3) just me

thanks
jim

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have the same issue

I use smartwool for running and for my MTB shoes, they are too bulky for my road shoes. I do find that they wear sooner than all of the synthetic socks I have. I get wear in the ball of the foot at my big toe. That said I think they are still a great sock for warmth and comfort. I usually watch for them on sale at Sierra Trading Post and pick them up at nearly half normal retail.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have two pairs of very thick Smartwool socks but haven't worn them out yet. Guess I have to use them more often (they already get a lot of use this time of year).

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Buy 'em cheap at Sierra Trading Post

I have the same problem, but I still love the socks. Doesn't hurt so much if you get them from www.sierratradingpost.com. Don't know about their online prices or shipping, but they have a retail store here and I get them for less than five bucks a pair. REI sometimes puts them on sale, too.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
sockx

I've used SmartWool cycling socks for a while and haven't noticed any unusual wear. However, the warmest cycling socks I've got are DeFeet Wooly Boolies. They are expensive but worth it for really cold days. Thicker than most socks, so you need to loosen your shoe straps or they'll fit too tight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts