Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
fu
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I do a faster ride, I smell ammonia (sweat) while showering after. I did a quick Google search and from what I've read it's a sign that my body has used all the available carbs and started burning protein from the muscle tissue. The problem is that this happens regardless of my carb intake. I've tried carbo-loading the day before and on the day of the rides as well but that didn't help.
I'm 5'9" and usually weigh around 175lbs. I can't seem to be able to get lower than that during cycling season. In the winter time, I can get down to about 165 just doing cardio 6 days a week at a local gym. 15 years of on and off weight lifting has left me with a lot of muscle mass so I'm not exactly fat.
What am I doing wrong?

·
fu
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How much do you eat during the ride itself?
My rides so far this season have been short (20-25 miles) so I don't eat during. I usually have a granola bar shortly before. The intensity of the ride seems to make a difference though. I don't smell ammonia after lighter workouts.

BTW. This isn't a new issue. It's always been this way. I just never bothered looking into it before.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I usually have a granola bar shortly before.
Define shortly before, and what is mixed in with the bar? If it has fats it will slow the rate is digested and makes it available.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I'm not a expert, but from what I've read it does NOT necessarily mean you're breaking down muscle tissue. It does mean you're getting energy from amino acids from protein, but that could be recently ingested protein, not necessarily protein in muscle mass. The only remedies I've heard of are more carbs and more water. But I've also heard it's not that big a deal, and smelling that after a hard effort does not necessarily mean anything's wrong.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Usually just one of these 10-15mins before getting on the bike:
Chances are you won't see a benefit from the bar until an hour into the ride (depending on your system), the fat will slow things down.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I've noticed the same smell sometimes over the years after a particularly hard ride. Best I can tell it happens when your metabolism gets going at a rate faster than your system can clear the nitrogen in the form of urea (urine). There may be a component like the asparagus thing mentioned, where some people may be more sensitive to it and smell it more readily.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,667 Posts
make absolutely certain your cat (if you have one) isn't peeing on your or in your shower. or on your shower towel. or your bath matt. be thorough, they're sneaky bastards.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Chances are you won't see a benefit from the bar until an hour into the ride (depending on your system), the fat will slow things down.
either riding, weight lifting etc. try to get it closer to an hour before the ride. me personally i eat a chobani yogurt with added granola for the carbo kick. usually an hour before. weight lifting or cycling, spin class etc.

also, i try to eat small protein meals all day long so im never actually "hungry".

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.