Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate getting bugs in my hair. Helmets just seem to be specially made to trap bugs into my hair, and only way to expel them is to pull over and remove them. Well then if it is a yellow jacket, I get stung (recently happened)

I know some wear cyclign cap under the helmet. But my skull is too big for any cycling cap I know of. Plus .. cap just means retaining more unwanted heat.

So I see this new Smith helmet which has a honeycomb head cover built in. That gonna keep out the larger bugs? (or attract them to lay eggs!)?

·
Registered
424 Posts
I hate getting bugs in my hair. Helmets just seem to be specially made to trap bugs into my hair, and only way to expel them is to pull over and remove them. Well then if it is a yellow jacket, I get stung (recently happened)

I know some wear cyclign cap under the helmet. But my skull is too big for any cycling cap I know of. Plus .. cap just means retaining more unwanted heat.

So I see this new Smith helmet which has a honeycomb head cover built in. That gonna keep out the larger bugs? (or attract them to lay eggs!)?

This is a Smith helmet not a Smither. If you ride slow you have to worry about honey bees depositing honey in the combs. Ride fast no issue. There are lots of good wicking material (cool) cycling caps out there.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I've never tried one, but I considered buying one of those helmets when I was in the market last year. After reading reviews saying that the ventilation was very poor (i.e. it doesn't cool well), I decided to stay away. Lot's of air flow is a big priority with me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts