Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My wife and I woke up Sunday morning to dense smoke hanging on the hills around our house like sad reddish cotton. It was pretty discouraging but by 7AM we were bored and jumping on our bikes. We weren't really sure where we were going but the smoke to the west seemed to be quite a bit thinner so westward we went. The only problem with riding west from my house is the Mt. Rose Summit Pass rests between us and anything at 8,900 feet above sea level. OK, so that's not the only problem. I've got a tried and true rule that I will NEVER ride SR431 Mt. Rose highway after 6:00AM in the morning on the weekends and I will NEVER ride around Tahoe from June 15th through the first weekend of September. So much for rules. Oh well I thought as we started up the mountain, lets at least hope the views of Tahoe will be good. Alas, not. But the ride was great anyway. 80 miles of very scenic roads and very warm weather.

EDITED: I put the map in twice as I didn't realize the first pic was goofed up. :idea:

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Down Into Tahoe

I was pretty disappointed as I crested the pass and looked off into a sea of smoke which was seriously missing the sapphire blue of the awesomeness that's Lake Tahoe. I decided to make the most of it by racing down the backside of the mountain into Incline Village. Incline Village is where all the rich (well, richer than the rest of Tahoe's rich people) like to live. But on a good note it provides a good place to refuel before heading up the hill to Spooner Summit. Heading up to the summit we had to pass the usual nightmare of parked cars of people heading down to the nude beaches. I saw a guy with a camera and a BIG lens. Wonder what he was going to do? :rolleyes:

I joke with Dr. Roebuck about his lack of bikini shots in his beach pics, so I made sure to get one. But you're going to have to hunt for her and it's definitely bad enough to keep this out of the PG forum. :D

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Into Carson City

We took a break at Spooner Summit under the Aspens and got to talk to a group of hikers working their way around the entire 70 something miles of the rim trail. That's tough people and they were all in their 60's at a minimum. We then headed down U.S. 50 into Carson City. The road is being repaired and the drains are death traps right now. After several miles I yelled at my wife that this sux and headed down a newly installed road which drops you down into Clear Creek Canyon. It's gorgeous down there right now, but the local Indian tribe sold off all the land for high end housing. Ugh.

Carson was full of smoke so we decided to stop for some Mexican food (the real stuff) at a local Taqueria that we like. As we started back we ran into head winds of somewhere (I'm guessing) around 30mph. It was unbelievable as we got pelted by tumbleweeds and small sand storms. If you look at the pics of old U.S. 395 wandering through the meadowlands near the end of this post you can see how much the trees are being pushed over by the wind. But, by some miracle, as we descended back into Reno the wind reversed and we got to haul back at 30mph. I love it!:D

· Registered
1,280 Posts
Nice ride, Ridgetop. From the looks of your first set you didn`t come off too bad with the traffic going up. New road down Clear Creek? I wondered that when I saw your map, but figured that must just be the way you drew the route. I guess that has to do with the new exit half way down 50 that they`ve been working on for the last year or more. How ever you slice it, that`s out of my range for a day trip. You and your wife are stud muffins!

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Rodar,

Yep, that's that new exit. It was nice being able to get off the craziness of 50. I don't like descending that too much. Traffic wasn't too bad at all. A couple of boat haulers buzzed pretty close but not too bad. The worst traffic was trying to get around Sand Harbor. That place is out of control.

· Registered
45 Posts
Wow, you guys are indeed awesome.

I've been trying to get my wife to ride around Tahoe, no SR431 though (she can't do big climbs - bad knees); besides the weekend traffic is killer on that road. Once I get my Felt back from the shop I'll see if I can convince her. Your great posts and pics will help!!! :thumbsup:

By the way, where is the good mexican food at? Give me details!

Rich

· sometimereader
1,202 Posts
Ridgetop said:
I will NEVER ride around Tahoe from June 15th through the first weekend of September.
I did the complete circuit (from Incline) exactly a week ago. No problems at all (but I suspect the weekends and holidays are considerably worse). And I had no smoke.

Smoke or not, it looks like you got a really nice ride out of it. But going up 431 from Reno is something I won't let myself think about.

· had it in the ear before
14,158 Posts
thanks for the pix i cant wait to do the tour de tahoe! hope the smoke is clear by early sept...

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The little taqueria is located between Little Way and Fifth Street on Saliman next to the car wash. Little tiny joint but great food.

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The smoke should (crossing fingers) be gone by then. Should be a good day up there.

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The brake pads go quick. So far the rims have held up though :D.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.