Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a smooth riding and durable tire to ride around So Cal (lots of sand, little rocks and such in the road). Previously I ran Specialized Mondo Pros at ~110psi (OK durability, but did not smooth out the bumps) and after that I went all gimmicky and ran TUFO C Elite Road clinchers at ~120psi (ridiculously smooth, not so durable). Is there any tire that has a really nice ride and reasonable puncture resistance? Iwas thinking about Maxxis tires any experience?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I got literally thousands of miles out of the cheaper S22 (or S33 - I forget) Tufos about a year ago, and will be buying more shortly. Cheap, all but flatproof, and as heavy as a training tire should be.

I've also been impressed with the Gommitalia Calypso that Excel sells for $55/pair. Excel is really good at only carrying stuff that works, and these are pretty nice tires, especially for the price. Perfectly round and as smooth as any immitation-open tubular. They practically fall onto the rim when you're mounting them. Their smoothness is a product of cotton sidewalls, however, so they're not as flat resistant as some other tires. But there's always a trade-off...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SDizzle said:
I got literally thousands of miles out of the cheaper S22 (or S33 - I forget) Tufos about a year ago, and will be buying more shortly. Cheap, all but flatproof, and as heavy as a training tire should be.

I've also been impressed with the Gommitalia Calypso that Excel sells for $55/pair. Excel is really good at only carrying stuff that works, and these are pretty nice tires, especially for the price. Perfectly round and as smooth as any immitation-open tubular. They practically fall onto the rim when you're mounting them. Their smoothness is a product of cotton sidewalls, however, so they're not as flat resistant as some other tires. But there's always a trade-off...
nice to know about the gommi's. i had a pair of targas, but they looked so sweet that i couldn't bear to just tool around on them. a really beautiful tire. thanks.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
IMO Michelin Megamiums are excellent tires. I get lots of miles, and no flats. Performance has them on sale now for $19.95.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts