Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the the smoothest shifting chain for Campy 10-speed drivetrain.

Are SRAM and Shimano chains compatible with Campy drivetrains?

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts
ronniedee said:

Search around the forum. The chain dimensions are also given by the manufacturers, so you can see that there is only a slight difference.

Personally I have run both Shimano10 and Campy10 chains on a Campy10 drivetrain, and I prefer the Campy10 chains. They last longer, in my experience.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
info..

All modern 10 speed chains are now 5.9mm and compatible from a width standpoint. I've used KMC, Shimano and Campy chains. They all shift well, but a Campy chain will las longer, if the wear is measured properly (by roller spacing increase, not elongation). A Campy chain will not elongate nearly as fast as the other brands, but the chain can be shot and still not show much elongation.

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
Campy

ronniedee said:

I prefer the Campy chain. I have used the KMC and it shifts just as well and is quiet but does not seem to last as long. Running a Shimano chain on Campy is just sacrilegious

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
if you use a campy chain and have to move it over to another bike can you pop a pin and reuse the chain? or do you have to use a new chain? moved drive train to another bike and used a chain tool to push a pin through seperating the links, wondering if the chain is still usable or do i have to get a new one.

·
Registered
446 Posts
wipperman connex.... use them on all my campy chains... work great... just make sure you get the campy version, they have a few different ones... speaking of campy 10s here... no experience with 11 speed stuff...

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
info...

You should have removed the special joining pin, then the other pin in that pair of outer plates, then used a properly fitting master link. Since you didn't just leave the joining pin in place.

KMC makes a link for the Campy chain and so does Forster. A SRAM 10 powerlock should also work.

The Wipperman connex is great but there is no Campy version of it. Some people use the current model and get by with it, but it is a sloppy fit. The connex is made only to fit wipperman chains, but it will also fit Shimano and KMC.

·
Registered
627 Posts
As already stated a Campy chain works the best.

If you want to move a campy chain start by finding the external link which has the batch number stamped into it. Only ever open a campy chain at this link if you plan on reusing it. Figure out which of the pins was used to originally close the chain and push it out using "UT-CN300" (a chain tool). Get yourself a "Ultra-link CN-RE500" (campy chain pin) and reassemble pushing the pin from the internal side (side facing the bike) to external side (side facing away from the bike) of the chain. This will only work if the 2 bikes in question use a chain that is the same length.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
???

Unless Campy has changed their instructions recently, they do not recommend removing the joining pin and replacing it with another. It will probably work, though.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Wippermann

bikerboy337 said:
wipperman connex.... use them on all my campy chains... work great... just make sure you get the campy version, they have a few different ones... speaking of campy 10s here... no experience with 11 speed stuff...
Seems to be a fair amount of misunderstanding about Wippermann, which I use very successfully on most of my Campy 10-speed bikes.

All their current 10-speed chains are 5.9mm, the same width as any other Shimano compatible chain. There is no such thing currently as a "Campy" Wippermann chain, and has not been for several years, since people discovered that this narrower width worked better on Campy drivetrains than the original Campy 10 speed width of 6.2mm.

Even Campy changed chain widths to the "ultra narrow" 5.9mm.

I don't find Wippermann links "sloppy" and have had no issues in many thousands of KM (I do 15-20 K per year in all conditions), using Wipperman, mostly their cheaper 10S8 or 10S0 models.

http://www.connexchain.com/Bicycle-chains/10-Speed/1_326.html

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
That's what i thought, ruined the chain. did't find the external link which has the batch number stamped into it, didn't use a "UT-CN300" (a chain tool) and not planning to use "Ultra-link CN-RE500" (campy chain pin) since i didn't follow the first 2 steps. i will look for a KMX link. if not go to a KMX chain all together.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
well...

Then you didn't bother to measure the clearance between the inner and outer plates, at the master link. Normal side clearance on a new chain is .004-.008 inch. For some reason, not all brands use the same clearance, nor do they have the same width across the inner plates. Campy and SRAM are about .004 inch narrower across the inner plates, despite having the same 5.9mm width across the outer plates. Shimano, KMC and Wipperman are all wider across the inner plates, so the width between the inner surfaces of the master links will be wider. That's what makes the fit sloppy. You learn something new every day.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
well

C-40 said:
Then you didn't bother to measure the clearance between the inner and outer plates, at the master link. Normal side clearance on a new chain is .004-.008 inch. For some reason, not all brands use the same clearance, nor do they have the same width across the inner plates. Campy and SRAM are about .004 inch narrower across the inner plates, despite having the same 5.9mm width across the outer plates. Shimano, KMC and Wipperman are all wider across the inner plates, so the width between the inner surfaces of the master links will be wider. That's what makes the fit sloppy. You learn something new every day.
thanks, I should spend more time measuring things :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I've been using the KMC DX10SC on both my 10s Campy bikes for several years now.. I'll agree they won't last as long as a Campy, but at roughly $30, that really isn't an issue.

More importantly, they shift very smoothly and with a properly adjusted drivetrain are as quiet as a tomb. Plus they come with a dedicated, reuseable toolless master link.

·
9,790 Posts
bikerboy337 said:
wipperman connex.... use them on all my campy chains... work great...
^ This.

I have a couple of Wipperman nickel-plated chains (Connex 10s8) and a Wipperman stainless steel chain (Connex 10s1) on my Campy bikes. They last forever, are quiet, and are easy to ignore.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts