Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

· Bike Wing Conspiracy
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Havent posted in a while, but I have posted here about snapping carbon bars on 3 different occasions.

Well it happened again only this time to my carbon frame.

The crack started small where the head tube meets the top tube. It is about 5 inches long now.

Sent the frame back to the company and it is being looked at now.

Dont know what to think anymore. I aint that strong.

Must be the way I torque the handlebars since it is a fixed gear trackbike. Still would have thought the stuff they build airplane wings out of wouldnt snap.

· Registered
10,161 Posts
That's what happens...

when you buy crappy carbon. Any more on the brands of failed components? I've been using carbon just about every place you can (except rims) since 2000 and never has the slightest problem. Two Colangos, three LOOK frames, FSA posts and cranks, FSA and Easton bars. Carbon stems still make no sense - no lighter and 2-3 times more expensive.

· Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
Track bike with brakes?

That stem, headset, and top tube show a lot of obvious physical damage not at all related to riding or 'the way you torque the bars.'

Might be due to the way you hit the bars, though. Might I suggest you stop riding around drunk and leaving your bike lying in the middle of the road? :)

Just sayin', it feels like we're not hearing quite the whole story...

· Adorable Furry Hombre
32,540 Posts
I´d think you´d sooner trash your headset than smoke a frame due to the anount of torque loaded on the headset.

· waterproof*
41,745 Posts
Robbyracer, don't let this turn you off of carbon.
That bike has been "well-used" at the least.

A steel bike would soak up bumps and bruises like that. Carbon has to be protected a bit more diligently. If you're looking for a bike to bang around with, don't buy carbon. If you're the type to clean things with toothbrushes and keep things stored in their original boxes, neatly stacked in order, then carbon will last you just fine.

· Registered
48 Posts
Yeah, your "italian" carbon doesn't fail. More likely Italian branded and Chinese made carbon is what you have. Puhleez. :hand:

Anyways, carbon is a crappy material to make bikes out of. They fail much more often than metal, and often catastrophically. Most of my teammates are still racing on aluminum frames with Ultegra. No material is inherently "safer" than another. It is simply that one is "easier" to manufacture a product more safely over another.

With CF rims, I'm surprised that they last as long as they do. Still riding on my Bonty Aero CF wheelset from 05 which had seen some serious milage.

C-40 said:
when you buy crappy carbon. Any more on the brands of failed components? I've been using carbon just about every place you can (except rims) since 2000 and never has the slightest problem. Two Colangos, three LOOK frames, FSA posts and cranks, FSA and Easton bars. Carbon stems still make no sense - no lighter and 2-3 times more expensive.

· (not a real racer)
484 Posts
Creakyknees said:
Robbyracer, don't let this turn you off of carbon.
That bike has been "well-used" at the least.

A steel bike would soak up bumps and bruises like that. Carbon has to be protected a bit more diligently. If you're looking for a bike to bang around with, don't buy carbon. If you're the type to clean things with toothbrushes and keep things stored in their original boxes, neatly stacked in order, then carbon will last you just fine.
I'm pretty diligent about keeping up my bike but if there's a curb to hop off of or a dirt trail shortcut to take I'm all over it, well sometimes. Aluminium is just fine for now. Besides I don't like the idea of a 'catastrophic failure'. :eek:

· Registered
10,161 Posts
Italian??

What's Italian about LOOK, FSA and Easton?

My other thought is that frame has probably been crashed. If not, it was poor build. Any frame material can break or beand beyond repair in even a minor crash it the fork hits an immovable object.

If you read postings here for long, you'll see every type of material with a failure. Here's nice Litespeed that didn't last a lifetime. Notice that the carbon fork is NOT broken!

· Bike Wing Conspiracy
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What are you talking about?

danl1 said:
Track bike with brakes?

That stem, headset, and top tube show a lot of obvious physical damage not at all related to riding or 'the way you torque the bars.'

Might be due to the way you hit the bars, though. Might I suggest you stop riding around drunk and leaving your bike lying in the middle of the road? :)

Just sayin', it feels like we're not hearing quite the whole story...
What are you talking about - The whole story...

I ride my bike to work everyday in NYC. There isnt anyway I am not going to get a scratch here or there. I commute every weekday and ride on the weekends, so the bike is never off the street-i also lock it up outside my office building. I have been down a few times on the bike, but who hasnt? It shouldnt make the frame crack. If I nailed something head on I could see this happening.

I called the manufacturer and told them I was doing the Montauk Century before I sent it back, they didnt have a problem with this (nailed the century in 4:55).

The frame is 2.5 years old. It is a replacement for my other Aegis that was hit by a car and wrapped around a pole. Those pics hurt more than anything.

I wont be giving up on CF. I like the ride too much.

· Registered
863 Posts
onespeed said:
What are you talking about - The whole story...

I ride my bike to work everyday in NYC. There isnt anyway I am not going to get a scratch here or there. I commute every weekday and ride on the weekends, so the bike is never off the street-i also lock it up outside my office building. I have been down a few times on the bike, but who hasnt? It shouldnt make the frame crack. If I nailed something head on I could see this happening.

I called the manufacturer and told them I was doing the Montauk Century before I sent it back, they didnt have a problem with this (nailed the century in 4:55).

The frame is 2.5 years old. It is a replacement for my other Aegis that was hit by a car and wrapped around a pole. Those pics hurt more than anything.

I wont be giving up on CF. I like the ride too much.

CF is not the right material for your application. CF bikes are not the kind that you lock up and leave outside all day everyday, crash on, and generally abuse, and expect them to last. Just get a steel bike. You might not like the way it rides as much (btw, much more affected by tire pressure than frame material), but at least you are less likely to have to replace it every couple of years.

· Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
C-40 said:
What's Italian about LOOK, FSA and Easton?

My other thought is that frame has probably been crashed. If not, it was poor build. Any frame material can break or beand beyond repair in even a minor crash it the fork hits an immovable object.

If you read postings here for long, you'll see every type of material with a failure. Here's nice Litespeed that didn't last a lifetime. Notice that the carbon fork is NOT broken!
I was just about wondering when someone would post that picture. :wink:

I saw one just like that (or close) at my LBS. I think it was a Litespeed too :eek:

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.