Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Shut up legs!
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I had a small accident in a group ride. I touched wheels with the guy infront of me who was suddenly slowed by the group of weak riders who couldn't handle a small incline.

I tipped over and landed on my Zipp SLC2 handlebar. When I looked at my bike I thought I had just bent in the shifter, but when I touched the handlebar I realized it was detached!

I just bought these handlebars three months ago :( They sure snap easy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wow that sucks! I'm running a Zipp SL bar, next time I crash I'll try and make sure I don't land on them. They state good strength test results on these bars obviously that doesn't relate to real world conditions.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
Explode!!!!

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
tjcoogan said:
Wow that sucks! I'm running a Zipp SL bar, next time I crash I'll try and make sure I don't land on them. They state good strength test results on these bars obviously that doesn't relate to real world conditions.

I dont think anyone tests for tipping over your bike and landing on your handlebars.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Next time, buy two of them, so that when you crash, you can change them that same day.

PS. Next time, pay attention to what's going on in front of you.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
That's the price to pay for opting for an uber-light bar. Seriously, is saving 50 grams really worth the premium of an extra $250 over a more standard bar? Light stuff breaks - if you're not prepared to replace it then buy better suited gear for everyday riding.

Re carbon/aluminum, I've broken aluminum stems before. I'm riding an ec70 wing bar (carbon) crashed twice this year in crits - it's survived fine. The stems have been stuff like Ritchey's light WCS ones-- again, it's not so much the material as it is components pushing lightness too far.

·
Shut up legs!
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Actually part reason I bought the Zipp was because I like their bend shape.

Anyway, Zipp emailed me back about my crash:

"Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

Here is a comment from our lead test engineer.

A slow-speed crash tends to be most hazardous for components and rider
as more of the impact is directed perpendicular to the longitudinal axis
of the bicycle. The failure mode of a carbon fiber structure is
drastically different from an aluminum one, as carbon fiber is a brittle
material and hence fails in the manner depicted here, while an aluminum
part will yield until it deforms plastically and eventually breaks.
Contrary to what many people on internet forums seem to believe, by the
time you fail a carbon fiber handlebar in this manner, you will have
plastically deformed an aluminum bar. While the aluminum bar may remain
intact it is no more ridable than the bar shown here, as it will have
yielded to the degree that complete failure is inevitable."

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,287 Posts
Arrogant Roadie Prick said:
Been riding bikes since the 70's, never ever broke a handlebar. 'Course I never use carbon bars. Coincidence? Correlation? Just askin'.......
Nuts! I've broken 2 sets of bars... BOTH aluminum. Crap!

Maybe I should start riding carbon...

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Kudos to Zipp for contacting you with concern and providing a response.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm not debating carbon vs. aluminum, but at ~$110/month- I don't think many can argue about the importance of putting your money in parts that aren't the most likely to break. Then again, I also think that Zipp parts are some of the most over rated bits out there.

I guess that $341 dollars has to go somewhere. It must be in emails that tell you that it isn't Zipp's fault, you crashed, and that light parts will break.

Fool me once...

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.