Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed out the drivetrain on my commuter last night. I have a nine speed campy Record group that I got from ATP Junkie that I had intended to use on my Merckx MXL. This past week while commuting, I realized that every shift involved some kind of tweaking due to my badly worn 1999 vintage Chorus ergo levers. They probably have 50K or more miles and have never been rebuilt. The Record levers are the same age but have new internals.

Anyway, I went out on a shakedown ride to make sure it all works before tomorrows commute. I headed out to Port Gamble to do a quick 15 mile out and back. Port Gamble is a restored area that still functions as a lumber port.

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
more

It wouldn't be a post from me without food. There is usually some kind of event in Port Gamble each weekend throughout the summer. This weekend was some kind of treehugger/granola event with lots of tie-dyed clothing. I went back later with my son because they had a booth for local water treatment installers and I need a system. Anyway, before I headed home I had a delicious bratwurst with onions.

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Equal opportunity commuter

My drivetrain is now Record ergo levers, alloy Record FD/RD, same old Dura ace crankset with Salsa rings, Phil Wood stainless bb, SRAM cheap nine speed 12-26, SRAM 951 chain, and Avid shorty 6 cantilevers.

For those of you keeping score at home, my Pegoretti is mostly Centaur. I rebuilt my old Record levers yesterday so they will go back on the Pego in the next month or so. My thumbs are sore from puting the lever back together.

The lead photo is the road to the house. It was a real chamber of commerce day today.

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jesse D Smith said:
What model light is that? I really miss my HID Blowtorch. My Dinotte 200L is more convenient (uses 4AA rechargeable batteries), but it disappears in low-light/fog/street light situations.
I think it's a flamethrower. It is HID and in the winter (dark in both directions), the battery life is used completely by the time I get home. The red light comes on about three miles from the house. It is an excellent light, I have been using it for over three years. I have the universal tail light. It is nice to know that the tail light battery isn't going to go dead on the road.

·
No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
yes

Dave Hickey said:
You know that mixing Dura Ace cranks with Record your bike will, without warning, explode?:p
Apocalypse...

Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!
Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...
The dead rising from the grave!
Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

·
Sticky Valentine
28,415 Posts
I love that bike, Bill. Love it.

There's something about a good utilitarian bike that makes me happy.

joe

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JoeDaddio said:
I love that bike, Bill. Love it.

There's something about a good utilitarian bike that makes me happy.

joe
Passing people on road bikes while riding the utilitarian bike makes me happy.
"Ding-ding, on your left"

I wish the local roads and shopping were more friendly for using my bike for things other than commuting. In Hawaii, there was an LBS, auto parts store, really cool music store (Jelly's with all kinds of imports), Hawaiian BBQ, Daei (asian walmart), all within a short distance of my commute route. My current commute is 21.5 miles each way. 11 miles are on a two lane rural road, the remainder is through a business area at 5:30am in the morning and I bypass the business area in the afternoon to avoid some scary traffic that is definately not bike friendly. My sister lives in the DFW area. She can do most of her shopping with her MTB and Bob trailer. She has two large dogs and hauls 50# bags of dog food in the bob. If Iived there I would buy a Big Dummy to avoid the trailer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.