Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Between being sick (a lot), traveling, and the cold weather we had in December I've only ridden a couple of times outside of the trainer. The weather around here has changed to almost spring like so, even with a lagging cold, I took of and headed towards the high country today. Better than working I guess :D . Sure wish I had more rides and more pics to report on though.

Donner Pass Area on Historic 40 primarily. Temps today were between 50 and 55 degrees. Got to ride the majority of it in arm warmers and jersey. Been a long time since I could do that.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Continuing up toward the pass

As I climbed up I got to listen to all the creeks that are flowing with snowmelt and was in shock at the almost complete lack of cars on the road. Weekends can be a little bit scary with all the ski traffic, but the resorts were almost empty today. Old Historic 40 is fun because you get to look up at the old train tunnels that are now abandoned (you can mountain bike through them in the summer with lights and it's pretty fun) and the views down toward Donner are impressive.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Through the Hood

At the top I made a detour through Ice Lakes to check out the cabins burried in the snow and to look at the truely iced Ice Lakes. Clouds started to roll in but it was still warm enough that I could just ride along. I was loving it. But my butt, my weak legs, and the snot flowing from my nose. .. not so much :p .

Stopped at Soda Springs store for a super sized cookie and coke and continued on my way. It was so nice and quiet.

One of the train tunnels was full of giant blue icicles hanging down. Picture doesn't show it well, but the wall of hanging ice was about six feet tall.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Back down into Donner.

As I headed back down the sun came back out and I had a nice easy cruise back to my truck parked in the town of Truckee. Other than a little sand on the road it was a perfect descent.

Oh yeah, my truck broke down when I got back down the hill. Ugh, at least AAA towed it. :(

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
Nice pics. Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Purty!

Hmmm....Donnor Pass, truck broke down. :idea:

Did you eat anyone?

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Thanks

for the nice shots. I miss the place. I grew up in Reno, and my family had a cabin at the west end of the lake for a long time. It's a beautiful spot. In some of your shots, if you know where to look, you can still see burn scars from the big 1960 fire (started by I-80 road construction crews burning slash on a windy day). One of the memorable events of my childhood, when the whole city of Reno was without electricity for a week, and the sky was entirely covered with smoke, raining ash.

That's an unimpresive snowpack, for what started out as a wet winter. I hope you guys get your reservoirs refilled this year. I'd gladly send you some of our precipitation from here in New England.

·
Yo no fui.
8,081 Posts
Did you not freeze on the descent?

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pablo said:
Did you not freeze on the descent?

Wasn't too bad. The sun was reflecting off the snow and kept it pretty nice. Just had to wear a long sleeve jersey and was fine. I think if I had waited another hour it would have been a little nippy.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
That's warmer that we've been here in the south. It would be great to be able to enjoy that scenery in those relatively warm temps.

·
Yo no fui.
8,081 Posts
Ridgetop said:
Wasn't too bad. The sun was reflecting off the snow and kept it pretty nice. Just had to wear a long sleeve jersey and was fine. I think if I had waited another hour it would have been a little nippy.
Interesting. I rarely ride in the moutains during the winter, even though they are adjacent to where I live and the roads are normally dry, because you get warmed up and a bit sweaty on the ride up, then freeze on the way down. The only even halfway decent option is a fixie, so you have to keep working and keep it slow on the downhill to stay warm.

·
In the zone.
163 Posts
Hey ridgetop - glad to see you getting out. Fantastic pics. It looks, and i hear, that its far better over there than over where i'm at. Enjoy!

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
This is just down the road from Sugar Bowl, right? Looks like nice riding, and nice pix.

Good rock climbing around there in the summertime.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Looks like probably the best place to ride in the world.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
rcnute said:
Looks like probably the best place to ride in the world.
Maybe not in the world, but close enough to my house that'll I put up with it :).

·
Registered
583 Posts
Beautiful Pictures

What a great ride report. I have lusted after your bike for a long time, beautiful frame.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts