Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have work-from-home access, and I've been signed on all morning.

Problem is, our bosses can't decide if it's in fact a work day :rolleyes: They say that the building is open, and if you can make it great, but if you can't then work from home, but it's not a work day b/c the offices are closed.......... :skep:

Anyway. Wondering if I should shovel outside, then come back in and continue to shovel work BS :crazy:

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
The storm has come and gone down here in DC. I think it snowed for 20 minutes. Given that it was 74 yesterday, nothing stuck to the ground. How much did you get in NYC?

Isn't this your last week or so on the job? I'd stay home, shovel snow and "work". What are they going to do, fire you?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
My college and place of work is officially closed,

They make us take a vacation day even though they are telling us to not report to work.

This has always been a source of contention with folks and even though I'm a union employee, the union never sees the need to clarify the issue.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
They do the same crap in govt. Weather is bad so they announce "liberal leave". If you can't make it in, use your vacation time. I always make it in.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Snow day here in Hartford. Pretty much everything is closed, including my workplace. It has snowed probably 8-9 inches, more than 6 inches in the last 3 hours. Looks like it may go on another 3 hours. Lots of lightning and thunder, too.

Getting a little remote work done.

I'll wait until it slacks off to start shoveling.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
They do the same crap in govt. Weather is bad so they announce "liberal leave". If you can't make it in, use your vacation time. I always make it in.
Interesting. I'm a Federal contractor (on site 2-3 days per week). Our dept's head (CIO) calls "Situational telework" whenever there is a chance of snow. Everyone's working from home today!

·
Use my Apps :)
959 Posts
Remote access and/or laptops are standard issue for most every office worker where I am these days. I recall many, many, years ago when few had a laptop and remote access. I also remember several snow storms where I had to work because I had it. All those without the capability just got a pass and made snowmen. But all those times I could fix off hours problems without driving into the office made up for that. Anyway, yeah, go shovel the snow! The other BS won't go anywhere while you do.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
They make us take a vacation day even though they are telling us to not report to work.
My company has been doing that for the day after Thanksgiving too. You can get "special permission" to work that day if you want to. I'm happy to take it off so it's a non-issue for me.

If snows hard enough that getting to work is an issue I usually just drive right past the office on my way to Bridger Bowl ski area - like I did yesterday.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
We have work-from-home access, and I've been signed on all morning.

Problem is, our bosses can't decide if it's in fact a work day :rolleyes: They say that the building is open, and if you can make it great, but if you can't then work from home, but it's not a work day b/c the offices are closed.......... :skep:

Anyway. Wondering if I should shovel outside, then come back in and continue to shovel work BS :crazy:
We have the ability to work from home if we want to. I personally would rather go in because I just dont feel as motivated at home. The storm did not live up to the hype here in south Jersey. I came home at lunch to shovel but the snow had already melted off. There have only been 3 times on my 30 year career where they have closed work. I am at the stage in my life that if the weather is really bad and I dont feel safe driving in, I will just take a vacation day

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I've been able to telecommute via Citrix or a VPN for going on 20 years but I also have serious cabin fever and don't bother. Even during Hurricane Sandy, with no power, I came in and went through accumulated paper, the last time my office was organized. When my employer still owned this building I would shovel the sidewalk.

Anyhow, the snow is a bust. This is Teaneck, NJ at about noon.

Winter Branch Freezing Neighbourhood Public space

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
Working from home is always an option in my office, weather a snow day or not. Just easier to justify when there's a weather related event going on.... Central/Northern Jersey we have about 9" to 12" on the ground. Haven't shoveled the drive way yet, to busy paddling around on the this web site and others :thumbsup:

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The storm has come and gone down here in DC. I think it snowed for 20 minutes. Given that it was 74 yesterday, nothing stuck to the ground. How much did you get in NYC?

Snowed for 12 hours straight or so. I got up at 7, signed in for work, shoveled, did some work, signed off at 2.

Was about 6" when I shoveled; John came home around 2 and shoveled another 6".

Isn't this your last week or so on the job? I'd stay home, shovel snow and "work". What are they going to do, fire you?

Honestly, it's hard not to be sarcastic in emails and I'm barely phoning it in. A good work ethic can only take so much of a beating. Last day is next Friday, but the offshore replacements aren't performing as expected (duh) so I think upper management is somewhat rattled.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Haven't shoveled the drive way yet, to busy paddling around on the this web site and others :thumbsup:
Funny, it's only b/c of my husband that I start shoveling before the snow is done falling. Normally I'd wait until it was done; now, I realize it's just making it more difficult. Plus I don't want people falling on the sidewalk.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Remote access and/or laptops are standard issue for most every office worker where I am these days. I recall many, many, years ago when few had a laptop and remote access. I also remember several snow storms where I had to work because I had it. All those without the capability just got a pass and made snowmen. But all those times I could fix off hours problems without driving into the office made up for that. Anyway, yeah, go shovel the snow! The other BS won't go anywhere while you do.
What irks me is how they've had the ability to let us work from home all along, but only recently has our manager given us the permission to do so (since we're all being let go anyway so why the hell not.)

I worked from home all last week (just said I was doing it, didn't wait for official permission) because of a persistent cough. Worked great, I was productive and didn't contaminate/annoy the office. Plus I didn't have to endure the torture of my cube-neighbor's endless personal phone calls :thumbsup:

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
If I call in snowbound I can work from home, but I never take my laptop home so it's a day off. Only happens about once every 3 years or so though. My boss always reminds me that I have an AWD vehicle too but when it's icy ain't nobody got time for that.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
My wife took up an offer to work from home over two years ago. Ironically, it only cut out a two mile commute for her.

I work with about 800 employees in two buildings. Our lease is up and they are only renewing one building. Forget cube-land, we will soon have 2x3 stations with 22 inch separators, where three people face each other. And the standup workstations have been getting popular, so you may have someone staring over you all day. No one (even now) has an office. We have a lot of people that work remote, and more will be working from home when we go to one building. I've always enjoyed (relatively) coming into work instead of working in a bubble. I do have the option to work from home almost anytime I want. But now I hope to be one of them. That will eliminate a 7 mile commute for me, 5 miles being interstate.

Working from home is the becoming more prevalent. Employers don't have to pay for your footprint.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
My wife took up an offer to work from home over two years ago. Ironically, it only cut out a two mile commute for her.

I work with about 800 employees in two buildings. Our lease is up and they are only renewing one building. Forget cube-land, we will soon have 2x3 stations with 22 inch separators, where three people face each other. And the standup workstations have been getting popular, so you may have someone staring over you all day. No one (even now) has an office. We have a lot of people that work remote, and more will be working from home when we go to one building. I've always enjoyed (relatively) coming into work instead of working in a bubble. I do have the option to work from home almost anytime I want. But now I hope to be one of them. That will eliminate a 7 mile commute for me, 5 miles being interstate.

Working from home is the becoming more prevalent. Employers don't have to pay for your footprint.
My ideal is work from home 2-3 days a week, depending on what's going on. i like to see people face to face and get out of the house occasionally.

I've had full time work from home gigs (Company was in Atlanta, I was in DC) and it gets weird after a few months. I also don't get the work from a coffee shop, library, etc. to get out thing. I never work well in those places.

Around here the shared work space concept is getting popular. Basically an office where professionals can pay rent and go there when they want. They have conference rooms, fax, copier, basically all the stuff a real office has. It's supposed to allow some degree of socialization/collaboration with people you won't run into in your living room. Very popular with full time work from homers and internet entrepreneurs.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Around here the shared work space concept is getting popular. Basically an office where professionals can pay rent and go there when they want. They have conference rooms, fax, copier, basically all the stuff a real office has.

This is a great idea- having co-workers that aren't YOUR co-workers! :idea: Seriously, that would probably increase the odds of getting along- no silly power trips or sucking up etc.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Around here the shared work space concept is getting popular. Basically an office where professionals can pay rent and go there when they want. They have conference rooms, fax, copier, basically all the stuff a real office has.

This is a great idea- having co-workers that aren't YOUR co-workers! :idea: Seriously, that would probably increase the odds of getting along- no silly power trips or sucking up etc.
It's great for freelancers and the self-employed. It gives you a space to meet with clients that's not your living room or a coffee shop. My attorney uses a shared space to meet with clients. He's a one man show and does most of his work at home or in the courtroom. It gives a nice air of professionalism- nice meeting room, front desk staff, water/soda, etc.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
[QUOTE=Christine;5124049]Around here the shared work space concept is getting popular. Basically an office where professionals can pay rent and go there when they want. They have conference rooms, fax, copier, basically all the stuff a real office has.

This is a great idea

We're considering something along those lines too.

I basically work in a satellite office that used to seat 8 professionals. For various reasons we're now down to two (which is also pretty cool in some ways). We're about to bring in a guy from another division of our company who will pay rent to our division - thereby helping with our overhead and hopefully keep the bean counters from asking why they don't just force the two of us to commute 2 hours to the main office.

It might make sense to extend the invite to others outside of our organization but think confidentiality issues would prevent that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts