Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first few snowfalls of the year are pretty enjoyable for me. I didn't live anywhere that got snow until I moved here and I seem to be making up for 50 years of missed snow fun. Still, after commuting on the studded tires for most of the last 6 weeks it was getting old.

Still this is likely to be our last snowfall of the winter and I was looking forward to snowplay. I zigzagged my way into work snapping pix of anything that looked interesting and made a few doughnuts in the fresh snow.

It was a fun commute in.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It snowed on and off all day but is was just warm enough so the stuff was melting on most of the roads and sidewalks. Everything else was getting a nice covering.

The winds were blowing the snow against my back on my way across The Mall to meet Miss M. I guess the weather kept a flock of tourists from noticing me riding along the trail. They sure scattered fast when they finally woke up (I was ringing my bell pretty good but I think the snow must have muffled the sound-either that or they are just clueless like most tourists wandering around checking out the sites like they are the only ones on the planet).

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I met Miss M the winds were really starting to pick up and the snowfall was the hardest it had been all day. To avoid traffic (and just because we like the route) we crossed the 14th Street Bridge and took the Mount Vernon Trail upriver.

We were riding straight into the wind and snow that was quickly building up on the trail. It was actually hard to see and our fronts were getting a nice coating of frozen stuff. (I was having big fun!)

When we recrossed the river into Georgetown (where traffic was its usual insane self) we were clearly the fastest moving vehicles on the road.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We took Wisconsin down to Water Street and the Capital Crescent Trail. Since we were now on the north side of the river and the winds were from the north we were pretty well protected from the worst of the storm.

Miss M is always up for a few more miles (although she doesn't enjoy snow the way I do having grown up in snow country) so we headed up the trail towards Bethesda to see how the riding was.

It was good.

It was so good we ended up staying out till well after dark. We got home and Miss M turns to me and says, "How did it get to be 8:00 already?"

Time flies when you are having fun.

MB1
Snow boy.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
I always love the snow when it first starts to stick to everything. Like adding a nice touch up of pretty to the world. You've had more than us. It's been disappointing for my snow photo ops.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The forecast sure looks good.

LEW 3 said:
The weather has been great. Days getting longer. Time changing. Life is good.
We are way so ready for Texas.

The weather is likely to have changed to springtime beauty by the time we get back (of course coming home to the Cherry Blossom madness is not anything we look forward to either) and I am sure it will be nice to get home after a week of centuries but we sure are looking forward to getting away.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
It's not snow until you can't tell whether it's covering grass or gravel.

my favorite part of snow is when you get to ride on it before it gets all compacted into ice by the cars- the world goes silent and the snow wakes coming off your front wheel are hypnotic...

Beautiful pics, as usual...

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
nice pix, but

Nice pix, but you're sick if you enjoy that. ;-) Sunny and 75 here, 55 in the morning. Back to shorts and just a jersey. I'm about ready to put away the cold weather gear until next November. It's soooo much more enjoyable now.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Record lows here tomorrow morning.

YuriB said:
i'm really diggin this post. maybe cuz it's supposed to hit the 90s here next week. spring is here...
We however are going to step through the door into summer and be riding in 50-80 degrees for the next week. :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts