Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After we got back from riding on the coast we decided it was time to start riding more in the Sierra Alps down by Markleeville California. The first attempt would be a fairly easy day just riding over Ebbetts Pass and back on Highway 4. This makes up two of the five passes on the Deathride. It was a gorgeous warm day resulting in a very rapidly melting snowpack. The river was roaring and waterfalls were pouring down all along the ride. I love the Sierras this time of year.

The Carson River was filled with brown raging water. Not too pretty but impressive since normally it is calm and clear.

Low down it was fairly dry as the snow had long since melted off, but the Silver Creek was flowing high and brown.

We headed up past the Scosi cattle camp which was still completely shut down, but the dandelions were blooming throughout the meadow giving it a great glow of yellow. And then it was further up the road. For those of you know the route the cattle guard a couple miles up is the sudden warning that you are about to begin some serious climbing.

At the 7,000 foot level Randall Meadows Creek was screaming over the rocks. Normally this is very pretty gentle looking waterfall. Right then it looked like a deadly roar of chocolate milk with pine log filling.

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Into the snow

As we passed above the 7,000 foot level the snow became more common and the waterfalls more often to be found. We also ran into the Kirkwood Deathride Training Camp crowd. Those guys are tough to be doing that. Something like 15 passes in three days. Yikes.

Cascade Creek raging down over the granite in the distance. You could hear it all the way up.

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Almost to the Crest

At the 8,000 foot level there was pretty much snow everywhere, water on the road, and some very sad pavement. Be careful rolling down this side because that pavement has some serious potholes going on right now.

We stopped at the summit to grab some quick food and headed down into Hermits Valley about 5 1/2 miles down. The river was flooding over its banks and had wiped out some of the more common camp sites.

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Back to the Top

Then we headed back up the hill to the car. Just lots of more great views, quiet roads, and fantastic riding.

· Registered
3,245 Posts
Mosovich said:
realize how fortunate you are? I mean really.. You could be stuck in the SE US sweating in stupid hot conditions with nothing really to see.. When you go ride tomorrow or the next day, think of us unfortunate ones.. :cryin:
ain't that the truth!

· Registered
877 Posts
I am jealous! Here in central Florida, everyone complains about the hills around Clermont when we ride there. Having lived and ridden in California, I can remember what real hills and mountains look and feel like, and wish that I could ride there again!

· duh...
9,749 Posts
WaynefromOrlando said:
I am jealous! Here in central Florida, everyone complains about the hills around Clermont when we ride there. Having lived and ridden in California, I can remember what real hills and mountains look and feel like, and wish that I could ride there again!

plus it's not 95 degrees w/ 80% humidity...

· Never Give Up!
1,292 Posts
WOW... simply amazing photos.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.