Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still riding in summer gear but the leaves are changing color and it's getting cool at night. Thinking of dumping my plow service for which one season can purchase a snow blower and going with a snowblower this winter. Most snow storms I have leave 3-6" and once a year I get a 8-10" snowfall.

Driveway itself is about 150' long by 8' and a steady 10/11 degree slope. Top parking area is flat and about 30'x30'.

Looking at an Ariens Compact 24" two stage and a Toro 724 QXE 24" which is actually a one stage.

My concern is not auger capacity or ability to throw the snow but effectiveness when going up slope. The Toro is almost 100 lbs lighter than the Ariens which should make it easier to handle/turn but how about effectiveness going uphill?

·
Registered
701 Posts
10/11 degree slope is pretty steep. Might be too steep for regular tire snow blowers. I plow my neighbor's driveway when he's not in town but his driveway is only about 6/7 degrees but I have no problem using my regular tire snow blower. You might need the ones w/ tracks. I never used one of those.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
if you get wet or heavy snow at all, 2 stage is a necessity. Chains and wheel weights will help substantially. I used a single stage thrower for a decade (1200 feet, gravel). The way I see it, a 10 degree slope is about a 17% grade, down won't be the problem, up however.......

Slope - Degree, Gradient and Grade Converter.

the recommendation of track seems to be warranted

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
if you get wet or heavy snow at all, 2 stage is a necessity. Chains and wheel weights will help substantially. I used a single stage thrower for a decade (1200 feet, gravel). The way I see it, a 10 degree slope is about a 17% grade, down won't be the problem, up however.......

Slope - Degree, Gradient and Grade Converter.

the recommendation of track seems to be warranted

btw, THIS is what I use now and with that kind of grade with pavement, I am almost certain I would need chains on all 4 wheels and it weighs close to 2 tons (4 wheel drive)

Attachments

·
Non non normal
10,100 Posts
I have that slope on my driveway. I have to help the blower up the hill and only take about a half a swath. Coming down is no problem.

·
Registered
518 Posts
My drive is about a 13 deg slope down from the street to my house. I use this to clear it:

It got thru a 22" snowstorm with very little problem. I ended up helping dig out my neighbor who has a 30" 2-stage monster Husqvarna blower (with heated handles) since he had to constantly stop to clear the jams from the heavy snow. Meanwhile my little Toro blower just kept chugging along.

·
すし + Sweet Potato Kugel
5,846 Posts
Two stage is good with tread tracks, but don't know the pricing on that stuff. Make sure your own footwear is capable. Pick up a set of ice cleats or something to that effect. I went out and purchased a tractor trailer mud flap from a truck dealer for $15.00 I did this mod and it has worked for a couple seasons now with a two stage blower in wet and slushy conditions [the snow blower has 5-hp, an MTD MY1991 with a sticker saying "made in USA bought from Walmart - so said from paperwork].

https://youtu.be/EMAgb3QNEE8

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
The track version is about $500 more it seems. You can use chains if you need more traction, and those are not $500.

Ariens, well, lots of snow around here and lots of people use them. Including me. I have 200' of sidewalk and two driveways, and an alley if I am feeling neighborly (we don't use the alley in winter.) All flat, but that's a lot of square footage.

Heavier, yes. In fact, nearly twice as heavy. We think of snow as light, but moving tons of it for years means a lot of forces working the blower.

Have you looked at them in person? I doubt I personally would go with the lighter weight option with it's "improved" technology over a tried and true tank.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Ariens and 2 stage. When you need it for wet snow, you will appreciate it.

Chains and weights will be your friend on the uphill if you don't want to spend for the tracks. Tracks would make it a non issue.

I'd also consider bigger than 24" with that hill as you will have less passes, and therefor less worry.... especially with the 8" snow.

Whoever suggested good grip for your feet is spot on.

Len

ps. One other thought...what do you mow with? Does it make sense to invest in a blower for that with chains (if it's a riding mower)?

Pss: I do this with a 22" Ariens 2 stage and wish I had bigger.

Attachments

·
It's a Sledgehammer
547 Posts
Living in CNY I can claim some level of expertise in this area. My drive is ~400 ft long and opens up to +30 ft wide at top.

A snowblower is a good alternative to plowing which can tear up your driveway. When you get the big snows, they are busy thus late. It is convenient though. If you're out the driveway is cleared for you when you get home and you don't need to get up early and clear a drive that's been plowed.

I chose the snowblower option and would say get more than you need. 2 stage is not a discussion - get it. Tracks are a joke. Never found anyone (here in CNY) that found them functional or effective. Also the weight reflects to a degree the gage of the metal housing, so don't go light. Check the auger gear box, some are small and are a worm/pinion vs bevel gears which will hold up better. I'd also get a bigger cut so you make less passes. I have a JD TSR32. About 25 years old and never has failed me once. Also, get the electric start. Yanking a cord while bundled up is not fun.

As far as the tractor option, I found it's just as expensive to get the blower attachment for a tractor as a stand alone blower so why do double duty on the tractor?

Good luck!

·
30 mpdb
1,001 Posts
I would recommend something that has dual uses. Snowblowers are only good for one thing: blowing around snow in the winter. A flamethrower, on the other hand, can (and should) be used year round.

USA! USA! USA!

·
NSFW
2,143 Posts
Honda is what I use. 11 hp. 30 blades. Ariens are sold here but by far Honda is the leader. The local Honda dealer sells more than any other dealer in the country. The machine works well in wet snow and ice. Expensive but they start easy and do what they are supposed to do. I've used wheeled blowers but prefer the tracks on the Honda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Proud luddite
7,233 Posts
Glad I don't have to worry about such things.
Yep! The most difficult winter-related decision I have to make in Tucson is whether to wear winter gloves or standard fingerless gloves on my morning bike rides!

But to assist the OP, I suggest using a standard snow blower but use it going across the width of the driveway rather than along its length. That way you don't have to worry about getting up and down the steep driveway. Of course, it might take a while to clear a 150-foot driveway that way but that's the price you pay for living in snow land! :D

·
すし + Sweet Potato Kugel
5,846 Posts
Of course, it might take a while to clear a 150-foot driveway that way but that's the price you pay for living in snow land! :D
Back on topic, sorry for the language

Anyway, if the snow thrower/blower is strong enough, look at wind direction on your weather report [interwebs.] Wind Map

If you're in a lull, cut up the middle and separate the pain from left to right. Think smart. Think safety. Any machine is a killer. Fall in front or behind it, or around it or slip at the crest of the roadway - you could be run over, break a leg, ...or worse, end up like the final scenes in FARGO.

·
Proud luddite
7,233 Posts
Honestly I didn't know that snow blowing was so dangerous. In my 50 years of living I never had to deal with that, luckily.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Still riding in summer gear but the leaves are changing color and it's getting cool at night. Thinking of dumping my plow service for which one season can purchase a snow blower and going with a snowblower this winter. Most snow storms I have leave 3-6" and once a year I get a 8-10" snowfall.

Driveway itself is about 150' long by 8' and a steady 10/11 degree slope. Top parking area is flat and about 30'x30'.

Looking at an Ariens Compact 24" two stage and a Toro 724 QXE 24" which is actually a one stage.

My concern is not auger capacity or ability to throw the snow but effectiveness when going up slope. The Toro is almost 100 lbs lighter than the Ariens which should make it easier to handle/turn but how about effectiveness going uphill?
I have the 24" Sno-tech (Ariens economy line) 2 stage blower that Home Depot sells. I used it last winter on my heavily sloped driveway on a 20+ inch snow. I had to put it in the slowest speed setting but it made it up the slope just fine

1 - 20 of 38 Posts